AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time post, long time lurker.

Anyways, I've tried long and hard to put up with this 200lb beast since Nov. of 2005. Found a floor model at CC for $750 (retail was like $1400) so I couldn't pass it up. Then the problem...

Massive, machine gun-like white "sparking" or flashing, many times in succession like it was degaussing with a "flash". It looked dangerous and was all but unwatchable. I decided to keep it, hoping that a Sony tech might fix it but I could never find a decent Sony tech. I tried a local repair guy who said it might be the capacitors- well let's just say that after $300 of repairs, it worked without sparking for a month or two, but they came back. I've heard that it might be the ATSC tuner, or the capacitors, or maybe the power supply, but really, who knows. This model is long discontinued and crt is a dying technology.

So, is there anybody out there who might even pay for this junk, even a supposedly sought after SFP model? I was thinking of Craigslist, but in good conscience can't think of getting a dime for this, for what somebody might have to put up with.

·
Registered
564 Posts
First make a large 'FREE' sign and tape it to the front.

Then when it's not raining get a friend to come over at night

and move it to the nearest CORNER!

That's what we do in my area. sure it's low brow and tacky but what the ****.

·
Registered
12 Posts
PK, It sounds like you have some sort of "arcing" going on. This could be in high volt ckt. Also, chance that CRT itself may be at fault. What did tech do in previous repair?

Has this been a ongoing prob from day one or after some time and what part of USA are you from? Just curious, as have same set - but not a console. Maybe internal parts worth something if you're thinking of trashing.

Willy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy368 /forum/post/12950940

PK, It sounds like you have some sort of "arcing" going on. This could be in high volt ckt. Also, chance that CRT itself may be at fault. What did tech do in previous repair?

Has this been a ongoing prob from day one or after some time and what part of USA are you from? Just curious, as have same set - but not a console. Maybe internal parts worth something if you're thinking of trashing.

Willy.

The tech, whom I've since lost contact with, said it might be a tuner or capacitor problem, but who really knows. The set DID stop the flashing or the "arcing", which is probably a more accurate description, for around a month and a half, but it resumed again with a vengeance.

Really a shame since it outputs a gorgeus picture, but it's unwatchable and imo, unrepairable unless you're a knowledgable Sony crt repair tech.

And, yeah, I am from the Big Apple.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it is an arcing prob, you can actually confirm where it is coming from by turning-off the lites and looking in back of set. From back, look at bottom, lower-left side (hv xfmer) and middle/upper CRT or @ mid where CRT socket is connected. You might see some sparking @ these areas. If long/loud continous - have the AC plug in hand, so you can quickly disconnect.

I do have a little expertise as I help out brother who fixes these Sonys. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts