Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I give Replay a second chance?

My home theater installer installed a ReplayTV 5040 and did a quick check out. After the 5.0 software downloaded, the unit locked up and I was never able to record anything. This was an out of the box brand new unit.

The problems were typical to what have been on this forum for several months. My problems included:

1. phone line hijacking where I couldn’t call out nor call in unless I unplugged the phone line from the Replay.

2. Video lockup, a static, noise filled signal.

3. Audio loop of 3 seconds repeated continuously.

4 Unable to get to other menus including resetting to factory defaults.

I spent 40 minutes with tech support troubleshooting including unplugging EVERYTHING from the unit. I won’t go into any more detail about fixing the problems since it appears from this forum that it is a software problem.

My concerns with DNNA that now has the rights to this product are:

1. tech support did not indicate this was a software problem, as indicated by other knowledgeable users.

2. My email from tech support initially gave links to FAQ’s and knowledge base, which I read, but when I tried to use their emailed link to “email a Customer Care Representative†the link did not work. That link does not work on their web site either.

3. I was unable to activate service on line OR with a customer service representative apparently due to a server outage.

My 4 day window for activation has expired. My installer will replace the unit with a TiVo, if I desire. It seems that there are too many issues for this consumer appliance. This product should work. I’m not interested in spending hours upgrading, troubleshooting, and modifying this unit. I just want to record programs to watch on my TV.

Should I give Replay a second chance?

Phil Parker, Atlanta, GA

:(

·
Registered
111 Posts
ReplayTV has a lot of nice features, and I have two 5040s running with no problems. The networking features, conflict scheduling etc are great -- but there seems to be a lot of people with issues if they connect via the phone (vice broadband). I routine copy shows from my ReplayTV to my computer, edit them and burn to DVD for watching on my portable player.

In your situation, I'd go with the TIVO. Especially since you have someone else hooking it up your home theater. ReplayTV does require a little more time and a more 'advanced' knowledge of networking, video, etc to fully use all the features - including many of the undocumented ones.

One question is, will you ever want to take the shows off your DVR and put them on DVD? If so, I'd hold off until the new software 5.1 comes out then buy the ReplayTV -- this way your 30 day return period won't start from then. Hopefully 5.1 will fix many of the issues - especially for those that dial-up.

Another issue, is will you ever have a need for more than 1 DVR? If so, wait for the ReplayTV.

If you want something 100% solid, need it right now and don't need the extras ReplayTV offers --- go with TIVO.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob, for your reply. Right now, I do not anticipate going to DVD from my DVR. Most of my recording will be time shifting for TV series with some that I might archive to videotape. Maybe I just caught the company at a bad time for their product, but as a new user I expect things to work right away or with minor adjustments. I know there are promises for the new software, but I don't want to hang my hat on it until it is out there in the general public.

I believe I will take your suggestion and go with the TIVO.

Phil Parker

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lyndon,

Thank you for your kind offer. I have replied to you via email. In the past, I had invested a lot in a computer software package that took a long time to stabilize despite reassurances from the manufacturer. You can understand that I may be a little "software shy".

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.