AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I’m building a new HIF, and i don’t know if It’s better to go, towers, I already have on them way (bought)
My listening distance is 8-9

Center

Reference RC263

Towers:

Reference 253

Surround

Reference 152

Subwoofer

SVS PB-1000 Pro

·
Registered
28,913 Posts
I don't know if Bookshelf speakers will sound better than what you have now and you'll need stands too so you're not really saving much space. Why are you thinking of going with bookshelf speakers instead? You could try placing the R152 up front, recalibrate your AVR and see if you like the sound better, the same or worse with the bookshelf speakers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s just an idea because I don’t installed my set yet, just looking for some answers ty!

·
Registered
11,083 Posts
The Infinity Reference towers are 3-ways with dedicated midrange drivers and twin woofers while the bookshelves are 2-ways with only a single woofer and tweeter and no separate midrange driver. The towers are more capable all-around performers and take up no more floorspace than bookshelves on stands. There's really no reason to consider bookshelves for mains, especially when you already have the towers ordered. If you bought the Reference 253 towers at the current rock bottom sale price you got a steal so enjoy your good fortune. :)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
You gave your listening distance but do you know your max SPL levels at that position? That would help figure out if bookshelves are good enough but considering it looks like you're in an apartment I would say they are probably fine. As long as bookshelves can hit your desired max SPL levels comfortably then towers aren't going to add anything. It is true that the towers may be 3 way but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll sound better, many 2 ways sound better to my ears than the 3 way version but that's not to say there aren't 3 ways that sound better.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hi,

The towers are good, 3 way, full range. Going to a bookshelf, to be worth it, would either be because you absolutely had to save space (and it's not just on a stand in the same place with the same size foot print; so wall mounted or shelf mounted or sitting on current furniture) or if you got a significantly better speaker in bookshelf form over a tower and you really wanted a really good 2 channel audio setup for when you're not using surround. I say that because if the goal was theater or just surround sound application, then I'd say putting more into your center channel is more important. But for a 2 channel music setup when not doing surround, sure, go for the best bookshelf (or tower) as you please.

Your listening distance is close enough that no matter what you pick it will pretty much hit reference at 1~2 watts with room to spare.

Very best,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Infinity Reference towers are 3-ways with dedicated midrange drivers and twin woofers while the bookshelves are 2-ways with only a single woofer and tweeter and no separate midrange driver. The towers are more capable all-around performers and take up no more floorspace than bookshelves on stands. There's really no reason to consider bookshelves for mains, especially when you already have the towers ordered. If you bought the Reference 253 towers at the current rock bottom sale price you got a steal so enjoy your good fortune. :)
Thank you !!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Do bookshelves if you feel like switching, you're not so far away where they'd not be loud enough. One thing you should do, though, is pull that CC forward so that it's flush with the face of the TV stand.

Reactions: friedmud

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
The more bass your speakers produce, the more room they will want from walls and solid furniture. I suspect the new speakers will sound best at least 8" from the back wall, and perhaps as much as 18" from the back wall. You'll need to experiment once you get them in. Toeing them inward will also be advantageous.

As mentioned, pull the center channel out until the face of the speaker (not the grill) is flush or slightly forward of the face of the furniture. If you are not yet using rubber feet to help isolate the speaker from the cabinet below, install some. You will want the speaker to point directly at your seated ears, so you may need to use slightly larger feet in the front and smaller in the back to achieve that angle.

Already having buyer's remorse and you haven't even received the speakers yet? Relax and let the speakers arrive and then play around with their position until you get good sound. If you find you can't get good sound, THEN consider replacing them with something else.

·
Registered
635 Posts
One thing you should do, though, is pull that CC forward so that it's flush with the face of the TV stand.
This is what I wanted to say - having your center flush with the front-edge of the TV stand will always give you better sound. Having it too far back will give you reflections off the top of the TV stand that can seriously degrade the audio quality.

·
Registered
Monolith HTP-1,Focal Kanta 1s , JL Audio e110s, Theta, PS Audio M700 amps, Theta CD,Kaleidescape
164 Posts
Get that fridge outta there ASAP! Use the space you gain to pull that speaker out of the far corner and clean up the imaging.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
+1 to keeping the towers (unless you're unhappy with them) and moving the CC speaker forward.
Yeah it’s kinda like asking should you go from bookshelves to satellites cuz that’s the size difference. I think you’d need to spend substantially more for any bookshelves better then the 253 towers .
253 were cheap enough to use as surrounds also .. just need a speaker stand to raise them . Bookshelves look better anyways , for rears.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The more bass your speakers produce, the more room they will want from walls and solid furniture. I suspect the new speakers will sound best at least 8" from the back wall, and perhaps as much as 18" from the back wall. You'll need to experiment once you get them in. Toeing them inward will also be advantageous.

As mentioned, pull the center channel out until the face of the speaker (not the grill) is flush or slightly forward of the face of the furniture. If you are not yet using rubber feet to help isolate the speaker from the cabinet below, install some. You will want the speaker to point directly at your seated ears, so you may need to use slightly larger feet in the front and smaller in the back to achieve that angle.

Already having buyer's remorse and you haven't even received the speakers yet? Relax and let the speakers arrive and then play around with their position until you get good sound. If you find you can't get good sound, THEN consider replacing them with something else.
Thank you will do that !

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts