AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade an older Sony 34" CRT (it's actually a 16:9 720p/1080i TV that weighs a TON) and since the room has very little outside light I'm thinking about plasma.

More specifically, I'm thinking about the Panasonic TCP42U2, TCP42S2, and TCP46S2.

Right now I sit about 7' from the front of the TV screen (that's measured from my body on the couch to the front of the glass on the Sony tube). The tube is at least a foot deep (or more) so if I wall-mount a plasma screen I might be 8' from the TV but I'm not sure.

Which is better for that distance? My wife doesn't want too big and neither do I but I'm having a very difficult time picturing how it will look in my house. Visiting a Best Buy didn't help because it's really such a different environment...

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng /forum/post/19563161

I'm looking to upgrade an older Sony 34" CRT (it's actually a 16:9 720p/1080i TV that weighs a TON) and since the room has very little outside light I'm thinking about plasma. More specifically, I'm thinking about the Panasonic TCP42U2, TCP42S2, and TCP46S2.

Be forewarned that the U2 has no Anti-Reflective Filter and is very reflective - probably about as reflective as your tube TV is. The S2 is pretty much the same TV but it has a decent AR Coating that does a fairly good job of muting reflections. I have seen the U2 next to an S2 and G25 models and the U2 is much more mirror-like. I would never buy a U2, nor do i ever recommend it.

Quote:
Right now I sit about 7' from the front of the TV screen (that's measured from my body on the couch to the front of the glass on the Sony tube). The tube is at least a foot deep (or more) so if I wall-mount a plasma screen I might be 8' from the TV but I'm not sure. Which is better for that distance? My wife doesn't want too big and neither do I but I'm having a very difficult time picturing how it will look in my house. Visiting a Best Buy didn't help because it's really such a different environment...

You could create a cardboard mockup of the TV the same size as the plasma that you're considering and put it on the wall for a week or so to see how it impacts the room.

I sit 8 feet from my 46" G10 and it's barely big enough. The 50" sizes list for a hundred bucks more than the 46 incher, yet the 50 inchers are discounted more so they're often the same or even cheaper than the 46" version.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information!

I know it's not allowed to post specific prices but I found pretty decent prices on the both the 42 S2 and 46 S2 models so I'm not really thinking about the U2 model. Unfortunately the discount ends tomorrow so I need to decide somewhat soon

Are the Samsungs (or other brands) typically better than Panasonic? (specifically the 46S2...)

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng /forum/post/19564609

...I'm not really thinking about the U2 model. Unfortunately the discount ends tomorrow so I need to decide somewhat soon

Then definitely go for the 46 incher. It may look "big" at first, but you'll probably get used to it and it may end up looking small a few months down the road. The 42 incher is just too small for 8 feet (BTDT, and i don't even like the "big screen experience").

Quote:
Are the Samsungs (or other brands) typically better than Panasonic? (specifically the 46S2...)

Samsung doesn't make a 46" plasma, the smallest is 50". However the Samsungs in this price range probably do have better picture quality than the S2, but the build quality isn't as good, and they're a little less reliable.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng /forum/post/19564911

So you're saying that the Samsung 42" to 46" LCDs generally have better picture quality than the Panasonic 42" to 46" Plasmas?

No, i'm saying the 50" Samsung plasma models that are in the same price range as the Panasonics would probably look better. The LG Plasmas also look good in this price range.

The LCDs in this range won't look as good as the Plasmas. Even the fancy LED LCD models at 2-3 times the price don't look as good as the plasmas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.