AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a viewsonic PX747-4K projector in my bedroom and is thinking of getting something better. I originally wanted to get an Epson TW7400 projector. But I realise that I could find 2nd hand 1080p projectors like Sony-HW55ES or JVC-X500R or even Epson TW8200 for alot less . Although they are old models, they are very good projectors during their time.

One main thing is that I do NOT have any 4K movies no 4K players. The projector is connected to my PC and I watch movies using my PC. I do not have any 4K movies as well. Only 1080p ones (no HDR as well, only SDR). So, I am leaning towards an old 1080p projector instead (Sony HW55ES seems best choice for me). But I am sure its the right thing to do. Hence, would like to seek advice here.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I currently have a viewsonic PX747-4K projector in my bedroom and is thinking of getting something better. I originally wanted to get an Epson TW7400 projector. But I realise that I could find 2nd hand 1080p projectors like Sony-HW55ES or JVC-X500R or even Epson TW8200 for alot less . Although they are old models, they are very good projectors during their time.

One main thing is that I do NOT have any 4K movies no 4K players. The projector is connected to my PC and I watch movies using my PC. I do not have any 4K movies as well. Only 1080p ones (no HDR as well, only SDR). So, I am leaning towards an old 1080p projector instead (Sony HW55ES seems best choice for me). But I am sure its the right thing to do. Hence, would like to seek advice here.
What you like to improve on from the Viewsonic?

Seating distance?

Color of walls?

Screen diagonal and fabric?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts

I don't know where you're located but I would suggest adding a Panasonic UB420 4K BD player, rather than changing projectors. I suspect you'll see an improvement in IQ even with standard BDs and DVDs. Alternately try a Sony UBP-X700. Both of these 4K BD players can stream 4K HDR content, from Netflix, Amazon, and others. The PX-747-4K works best with HDR content.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

JVCs or old 3chip/rgb led DLP. For sure. Using the pc is great too because you can use madvrs dynamic hdr tone mapping and turn any of these old machines into hdr displays. Resolutions lower on the list than a nice lens, good contrast, and a wide gamut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts