AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should I buy the Sony or the Jvc ?

will play back thru an Optima HD33 dlp link setup.

at this time I have no editing software but do have a strong I7 pc system

to build up into a work station if needed.

looked at the threads on both units and cant draw a clear winner .

which would you go for ?

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
I favor Sony because they offer a simple total video solution. With JVC you'll be working up a kludge of conversions and end up using some of the Sony software anyway.

With Sony, you'll get a huge selection of accessories designed to work with the TD-10. There are just a few for the JVC. The TD-10 has a much superior display screen. Offers 10x 3D optical zoom and 2D 17x digital zoom, JVC is 5X and doesn't shoot as wide an angle. The audio on the Sony is DD5.1 while the JVC is stereo. Current street price for the Sony is about $275 lower than the JVC. You can shoot 3D still photos with the JVC but will need to grab stills from 3D video in post with the Sony. Sony only does 2D stills. If both were offered at the same time, I doubt we would have had all the discussion on how to convert the JVC 3D files to a format that can be edited.

In my opinion the only reason many have the JVC over the Sony is because the JVC was released about 2 months before and many just couldn't wait.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I have both cameras and while I agree with what Don wrote I should also mention that the JVC is smaller and lighter and feels better in my hand then the Sony. It also has a somewhat greater distance between the lenses which produces a greater range of parallax values which some find desirable (me
)

·
Registered
203 Posts
They are both nice 3D camcorders. I only have the JVC model, but have been pleased with it. I believe that it was measured as a bit sharper than the Sony in good lighting (it records at a higher data rate), but less sharp than the Sony in low lighting. I can change its settings while recording in 3D, but occasionally its user interface freezes when I try. This may be fixed in the upcoming firmware upgrade. Its 3D LCD display is disappointing, but not needed as it makes good choices with convergence.

Note both cameras are designed for 'point and shoot' users and lack view finders and many controls found on prosumer models. Panasonic is going to sell a prosumer 3D camcorder this fall, though, it will likely sell for a bit more.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Panny looks really nice. its around double the price but looks to be in a major step up in design and features.

I have decided to spent the money and get the Panasonic-hdc-z10000-3d-camcorder.

·
Registered
44 Posts
@ snakeman

good decission - see my post from IBC Amsterdam...

I kept the baby in my hand....

I can´t wait to have it...

L.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts