AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been mulling over a change. I currently have a pioneer elite VSX-53 receiver, and an LG65C9 tv. I'm currently using 5.1 and inputs are all direct to tv (the 53 is only 1080p).

So, I recently set up led ambient lighting behind the tv and the 4x2 splitter I needed is less than perfect, and kinda annoying to have to manually change inputs. So, I was thinking of an "upgrade" from the VSX-53. The 2 receivers I have been looking at are the Denon AVR-X2700H and 3700H. They are both 8K ready and 4K 120htz compatible currently. (I do have the PS5 so the 4K 120 htz is a plus.) Are these 2 choices an actual upgrade from the current pioneer? Or am I just downgrading because I need the 2 4k outputs on the receiver? Hopefully I explained well enough for you guys. Let me know if any more info is needed. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
You should wait if you're a gamer, they messed up this generations hdmi 2.1 implementation. Now i think it is very unlikely you're going to see any AAA games not made on the vulkan engine (new doom, uses 5+ cores much better than any other AAA game engine) push 60fps at 4k consistently. But maybe by the end of the PS5's lifecycle engines that use the hardware better will be more common. And considering you had your last reciever so long you don't seem like the type that is going to replace quickly without a reason. At the moment games aren't even made for HDR

If you don't care about hdmi 2.1, hdr gaming etc. Then the cheaper denon will be just as good beyond what is on the sticker

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should wait if you're a gamer, they messed up this generations hdmi 2.1 implementation. Now i think it is very unlikely you're going to see any AAA games not made on the vulkan engine (new doom, uses 5+ cores much better than any other AAA game engine) push 60fps at 4k consistently. But maybe by the end of the PS5's lifecycle engines that use the hardware better will be more common. And considering you had your last reciever so long you don't seem like the type that is going to replace quickly without a reason. At the moment games aren't even made for HDR

If you don't care about hdmi 2.1, hdr gaming etc. Then the cheaper denon will be just as good beyond what is on the sticker
Thank you for that insight! Unfortunately, the VSX-53 is sh!tt*ing the bed more each day (UA22 code), so I think I'll need to get sooner than I wanted. Was going to pull the trigger on the 3700 today, but now not sure. I had thought they fixed the 2.1 issue. Maybe I miss read. tough decisions....

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thank you for that insight! Unfortunately, the VSX-53 is sh!tt*ing the bed more each day (UA22 code), so I think I'll need to get sooner than I wanted. Was going to pull the trigger on the 3700 today, but now not sure. I had thought they fixed the 2.1 issue. Maybe I miss read. tough decisions....
Nah they didn't, they messed it up.

TV manufacturers did too tho. Sony hasn't even made their PS output capable of the full 48 gbps or whatever 2.1's cap is. It's software locked at 40 atm. Many TV's can't accept the full 48 even if you could give it.

It's all a mess that hasn't become apparent because no one has source to use this stuff but PC gamers. Maybe buy a used placeholder for audio? That's probably your best bet if video games are important to you, or you plan to upgrade to 8k with a massive TV

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
There never was an issue with the PS5 passing a 4k/120Hz signal through the 2020 Denon AVRs (eg. X3700H/X4700H). However, the xBox Series X will not pass a 4k/120Hz signal.

·
Registered
367 Posts
There never was an issue with the PS5 passing a 4k/120Hz signal through the 2020 Denon AVRs (eg. X3700H/X4700H). However, the xBox Series X will not pass a 4k/120Hz signal.
That's because the ps4 is locked at a lower bitrate

They will change that

Console peasants stop, your consoles have arbitrary limits on them set by the manufacturers.

"it won't pass 4k on xbox" Can't do it for PC either.

i wonder why......Christ

You're supposed to be an expert. Well part of being an expert is understanding video games when it comes to AV recievers. You should look into it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Didn't read the comments to verify but this is a video with an LG tv, PS5 and sr7015 doing [email protected] pass through.

HERE
again the ps5 is not using all 48 gbps they've locked it

you can google sony's statements on this

why does no one know this? It's the biggest mistake in AV since i've been alive. lol

It cannot pass anything at 48 gbps. Period

Which is why teh xbox doesn't work. Also why the playstation doesn't pass 4 4 4. They've locked the bitrate.

Why would you think one console should work and not the other/ They're all supposed to be running on the same standard.

If you said "it works on the playstation for now with arbitrary limits on bitrate" then that would make sense.

Such ignorance

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah they didn't, they messed it up.

TV manufacturers did too tho. Sony hasn't even made their PS output capable of the full 48 gbps or whatever 2.1's cap is. It's software locked at 40 atm. Many TV's can't accept the full 48 even if you could give it.

It's all a mess that hasn't become apparent because no one has source to use this stuff but PC gamers. Maybe buy a used placeholder for audio? That's probably your best bet if video games are important to you, or you plan to upgrade to 8k with a massive TV
thanks for your help Goyle. After a lot of research, I wound up ordering the X3700H from best buy. I'll try it out. Being im an elite plus member, I have a 45 day return window. We'll see how it goes. If my vsx-53 hadn't started taking a crap, I prob would've waited... Thanks again!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts