AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
last year i purchased 5 Xtz speakers and an Xtz subwoofer. I am very happy with my Xtz speakers and my 5.1 system.
I would like to know if I can switch to Dolby Atmos.

I am attaching a map of my dining room. The home theater system is a 5.1:
- n. 3 M6 cinemas (2 front and one center) and two Spirit 2 as rear speakers to complete the 5.1. The subwoofer is an Edge 10.17 positioned in the left corner of the room.

I'll write you the distances:
- from the listening point to the central speaker: 2 meters;
- distance from the rear wall to the sofa: 1.3 meters;
- distance between the two front speakers: 1.80 meters;
- distance between the two rear speakers: 1.80 meters;
- the entire dining room is 3.80 meters wide and 6.30 meters long (24 square meters). But the "cinema" area is only a portion of the room (2.04 meters wide and 3.80 meters long).

I hope everything is clear.

Would you recommend upgrading to a 5.1.2 or a 5.1.4?

I'm afraid that 4 atmos speakers (xtz cinema S2) mounted on the ceiling are too close to the other speakers.
I own the avr Denon x3500h. If I wanted to move to 5.1.4 I would also have to change avr!

P.S. my current 5.1 does not allow me to place the surround speakers (Xtz Spirit 2) on the sides of the sofa. I was forced to place the two surround speakers behind the sofa. The tweeter of the surround back speakers is 120 cm high from the floor. Is it too high for the atmosphere?
The front (side) speaker tweeters, on the other hand, are 25 cm lower.

I attach a map of the room

Attachments

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
As you can do 5.1.2 by all means try it but 5.1.4 is said to be head and shoulders better so when my 7.2 receiver dies I'll go for one that does 5.2.4.

·
Registered
28,980 Posts
2 height speakers will let you hear left-vs-right movement above you. 4 height speakers will let you hear left-vs-right AND front-vs-back movement above you. Big difference.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Looks like you have the room to do 5.1.4. There is a MUCH better sound envelopment with 4 Atmos channels.

·
Registered
75 Posts
2 height speakers will let you hear left-vs-right movement above you. 4 height speakers will let you hear left-vs-right AND front-vs-back movement above you. Big difference.
Wouldn't in a small room with surround placed slightly behind and above ear level help with this front back moment? Yes wouldn't be like 4 atmos but should help , I have 5.1 and placed my side speakers two feets above ear level it gave me some height immerse ...

Thanx

Senzaparole, I am sorry I hijacked your thread ... and regarding your question don't think twice and go for atmos I already bought a pair and thinking weather to mounted as front height or an overhead... since you need to exchange avr I would advise to start with two atmos and if you realy liked it and feel you need more you would go further and exchange avr and buy another pair .. you have a good avr and 5.1.2 could be nice and sufficient on the near future at least.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Wouldn't in a small room with surround placed slightly behind and above ear level help with this front back moment? Yes wouldn't be like 4 atmos but should help , I have 5.1 and placed my side speakers two feets above ear level it gave me some height immerse ...

Thanx
In 5.1.4, the surround speakers should be at 90*-110* (within reason) of the MLP, pointing at the ear-holes. This will provide a right/left/front/back sense with the bed layer. The ".4" is right/left/front/back for the overhead layer. Added together, they give you a hemisphere of sound, where the processor uses EACH channel to create the field.
The OP has more than enough room for a 5.1.4 setup. If anything, an additional sub would be beneficial too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for your valuable advice.
I read that the main tips are to go directly from 5.1 to 5.1.4.

I am happy that my "cinema corner" has enough space to mount 4 speakers on the ceiling.

I have four doubts:
1. I watch movies on Netflix a lot. Is Netflix's atmos quality suitable for a 5.1.4 setup?
2. I have many movies in 5.1 audio. Would the Denon upmix give me satisfaction in a 5.1.4 setup?
3. in my current setup (5.1) the surround speakers are positioned behind the sofa (in line with the front speakers) is this a problem for the atmosphere? Unfortunately I can't position the surround speakers on the sides of the sofa at 110 ° / 120 ° as dolby suggests.
4. the rear speakers are positioned at the top about 30 cm (1 foot) above the ears. Can it go well? Do I need to lower the surround back speakers?

Senzaparole, I am sorry I hijacked your thread ...
hi, no problem, we are here to help each other.

The OP has more than enough room for a 5.1.4 setup. If anything, an additional sub would be beneficial too.
In my dining room, where would you place an additional subwoofer?The current subwoofer is located in the left corner under the front left speaker. There is some space between the TV cabinet and the wall. On the right, however, I have no space

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
hi guys,
last year i purchased 5 Xtz speakers and an Xtz subwoofer. I am very happy with my Xtz speakers and my 5.1 system.
I would like to know if I can switch to Dolby Atmos.
First off, I'd strongly encourage you to go out and listen to an actual Atmos setup for yourself to see if it really warrants the financial investment, especially given the fact that there are STILL relatively small amounts of native Atmos content available after all these years. Not clear IMO whether this format will really stick around or if it's just another flash in the pan. Of course the audio industry loves to hype it up, since it results in consumers buying more speakers and more expensive receivers that can drive more channels.

I went out and listened to a $10K Atmos setup a while back, with proper in-ceiling speakers and all the goodies. Heard the opening scenes of "Mad Max Fury Road," "Guardians of the Galaxy," and the whole Dolby Atmos demo BR disk. Was very underwhelmed....just seemed incredibly trivial and gimmicky to me compared to a normal high quality 5.1 setup...all that trouble just to add a vertical dimension to the sound effects? ZZZZZZZZZZZ! But some folks do find it worthwhile---I just think it's best to let your own ears decide rather than leaping on the bandwagon blindly.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
This is all IMHO and IME:
I have four doubts:
1. I watch movies on Netflix a lot. Is Netflix's atmos quality suitable for a 5.1.4 setup? Yes.
2. I have many movies in 5.1 audio. Would the Denon upmix give me satisfaction in a 5.1.4 setup? Yes.
3. in my current setup (5.1) the surround speakers are positioned behind the sofa (in line with the front speakers) is this a problem for the atmosphere? Unfortunately I can't position the surround speakers on the sides of the sofa at 110 ° / 120 ° as dolby suggests. No, it's not a problem. Unless you have a perfect dedicated room, compromises have to be made. Your surround positioning is fine in your setup.
4. the rear speakers are positioned at the top about 30 cm (1 foot) above the ears. Can it go well? It will sound fine. You want the speaker to be unimpeded to your ears.

Reactions: by96

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off, I'd strongly encourage you to go out and listen to an actual Atmos setup for yourself to see if it really warrants the financial investment, especially given the fact that there are STILL relatively small amounts of native Atmos content available after all these years. Not clear IMO whether this format will really stick around or if it's just another flash in the pan. Of course the audio industry loves to hype it up, since it results in consumers buying more speakers and more expensive receivers that can drive more channels.

I went out and listened to a $10K Atmos setup a while back, with proper in-ceiling speakers and all the goodies. Heard the opening scenes of "Mad Max Fury Road," "Guardians of the Galaxy," and the whole Dolby Atmos demo BR disk. Was very underwhelmed....just seemed incredibly trivial and gimmicky to me compared to a normal high quality 5.1 setup...all that trouble just to add a vertical dimension to the sound effects? ZZZZZZZZZZZ! But some folks do find it worthwhile---I just think it's best to let your own ears decide rather than leaping on the bandwagon blindly.

Hello!. I took your advice. Tomorrow morning I go with my wife to an important HI-FI shop in my city and try this Atmos audio.

This is all IMHO and IME:
Thanks for the replies.
As for point 4, if you want I can lower the surround back by almost a foot. This is not a compromise. I didn't understand if I should lower them or leave the surround back speakers as they are currently positioned.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
Hello!. I took your advice. Tomorrow morning I go with my wife to an important HI-FI shop in my city and try this Atmos audio.
Good for you.

If I were you, I'd bring along a favorite movie of yours that you've watched many times, that is NOT mixed in native Atmos. Have the shop "upmix" it into Atmos. This will give you a more accurate idea of what type of "Atmos" you'll actually be listening to most of the time, rather than an "Atmos" demo clip which is designed to sell the format.

Reactions: hollisesco

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good for you..
good advice. I bring the BD of Aquaman. They are two discs.
4K UHD is native Atmos but you can also choose the 5.1 DTS HD Master audio.

The blu ray disc is only 5.1 DTS HD Master audio audio.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You're likely to have some interesting results with the theater jammed up against a side wall and no conventional surround speakers. Your rears are going to have to be mounted very high so those going in an out of the room with the pocket door don't get beaned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yesterday I tried the atmosphere in two dedicated rooms.
Unfortunately, the first room had the sofa resting on the rear wall, the second room had the sofa in the center of the room.
In both rooms the configuration was .4

My impressions are that the atmosphere is an extra. It gives a pleasant sense of verticality but always remains an extra.
However, considering that a pair of atmos speakers costs one tenth of my system, in my opinion it is worth buying atmos speakers.
I also understood that the right setup is the .4.
The .2 does not give a feeling of completeness of the audio like the .4 setup.
I don't think the atmosphere is just mere marketing because actually, in some situations, the listener's involvement increases.

·
Registered
80 Posts
IMO absolutely. atmos ruined me for watching movies without it. if its not atmos i dont want to watch it . lol

seems like all current 4k movies are atmos

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
yesterday I tried the atmosphere in two dedicated rooms.
Unfortunately, the first room had the sofa resting on the rear wall, the second room had the sofa in the center of the room.
In both rooms the configuration was .4

My impressions are that the atmosphere is an extra. It gives a pleasant sense of verticality but always remains an extra.
However, considering that a pair of atmos speakers costs one tenth of my system, in my opinion it is worth buying atmos speakers.
I also understood that the right setup is the .4.
The .2 does not give a feeling of completeness of the audio like the .4 setup.
I don't think the atmosphere is just mere marketing because actually, in some situations, the listener's involvement increases.
That is indeed the AVS consensus.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
Ok, then go for it by all means. Would you need to upgrade your receiver to run the extra 4 channels, though? You have to include that in the total cost of moving to Atmos, not just the 4 speakers themselves.

Reactions: senzaparole

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I have to change my avr. I have an x3500h which fortunately I bought used.
At the first opportunity, without hurry, I replace the AVR with an x3600h or an x4500h.

I didn't understand if I have to lower the two surround back speakers when I'll go to 5.1.4 setup.
In my current setup (5.1) the two rear speakers are positioned higher than the listening point. The rear speakers are about 30/35 cm higher than the listening point. When I'll go to 5.1.4 do I have to lower them?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts