AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been covered before and I am sorry for the newbie question. I bought a 40 Samsung 630 series lcd and am wondering if I should have bought a 46" instead. The least viewing distance is 5 feet and the longest is 8.5. Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
im in a bedroom and i have a 46" , i sit around 6' away, on my bed its more than that. Even at 4-5 feet 46" is pretty tolerable. If your like 3 feet away from the tv then 40 is good. If your not doing any PC hookups then you dont need to sit too close.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I need to make a decision by tomorrow. I only have till then to make an exchange for the 46". The wife says go for the 46" but I am afraid with sd signals the 46" will look bad at 5-8 ft viewing distances.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Go for the 46 you will not regret it! I have a 50" in my bedroom and 120" as my main movie screen. When I go to everybody elses house there tv's look so small. It is funny having a movie night at their houses. Feels like I am going to my grandmothers to watch tv, pathetic.

Once you go bigger you can never go back.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Normally I'd say, "Yeehaaa, go with the 46", but your viewing distances of 5-8 ft are pretty darn close.

If you're happy with the 40" you already bought, then stick with it. I don't see why you'd need to go bigger at those distances, but there are always ppl who can't get big enough, no matter what. I'd call that a want, not a need, though.

Now, 40" at like 12-15 feet would be too small for many ppl. If you're planning to move or greatly re-organize your viewing space, size could then become a factor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Simple - go 40 - I went 46 - too damn big, really it is once you get it home.

I returned it for the 40 and every bodies eyes are happier for it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My room is bigger than yours and I sit farther away and at times it is still too big. But ya need 40" to get the 120hz.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAJAS /forum/post/15480216

Argghhhh!!!!! so confused!

Why? You say you already bought the TV.

Simply sit at the farthest viewing distance seat in your living room. Watch some TV. Does it look significantly too small to you? Ok then, time for a 46.

If not, keep the 40. Unless the 40 looks too huge to you at your stated 8.5' max viewing distance. Then you've got another interesting choice to make.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Also - do not worry about the angles - you can see it from any where in the room, or another room.

I have the samsang 40" 1080p 120hz - OFS !

If you go bigger, as I thought I wanted to, it will be tough on your eyes. Believe me.

Just because you get the 40 doesn't mean your stuck forever. If you think you're missing out, exchange it 4 the up-grade. Simple.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have a 52" lcd in my living room and I sit between 5-9 ft away and I think its perfect but I keep my brightness and backlight turned down. I would probably go blind if I watched it in torch mode at 5 ft. Even then its pretty bright first thing in morning. In my bedroom I have a 37" lcd Im usually about 8-9 ft away and I sure wish it was bigger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts