AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still in the parts selection process of building an HTPC and can't decide on whether I should go with hardware or software decoding for video.

I would like to capture VHS, laserdisc and DVD as well as tune NTSC television (for now, but add ATSC later).

Some of the threads suggest that using the XCard with PDI gives the best picture for watching DVDs for a decent price, but others seem to suggest that using ffdshow and powerstrip give really good results too. I think both ways rely on dscaler.

The software route seems to offer the benefits of price, easy upgrade paths, and PCI slot savings, but I wonder how the picture quality is? Also, does the software route result in more frame drops etc.?

If the software route is the way to go, what minimum processor speed is needed (I'm leaning towards the AMD processors unless there's a compelling reason to go Intel).

For display, I'm using a Radeon 9700 Pro with ATI's DVI-to-Component Video dongle (the purple one), and sound is through an M-Audio Audiophile 2496. For proof-of-concept purposes only, the test computer is an old Dell Dimension 4100 with PIII 933MHz.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.