AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of college for 3 years now and I've finally decided to upgrade my home theater system I bought in high school... I currently have an old sony pro logic receiver and some Infinity SM speakers so this is a huge upgrade for me.

As far as speakers go I've already decided to go with an NHT Evolution setup which comes with an amp and crossover to connect the left/right subs and the left/right speakers. Now I'm trying to find out what to get a receiver or a pre/pro and amp setup. My max budget for Receiver or pre/pro and amp is right around $2000. I'm willing to spend a bit more if I find something worth it.

The NHT setup comes with a continously variable crossover so I'm leaning towards a Pre/Pro setup so I can properly connect the crossover (NHT recommends sending the LF/RF + LFE through the crossover). A receiver with a main loop would also work, but I have been unable to find one. Because of this I have ruled out all receivers and am now looking at Pre/Pro and amp setup.

The only pre/pro/amp combo's I've found in this price range are from Outlaw or Rotel. The Rotel 1066 only comes with 2 optical inputs so I had to cross it off the list. I will need at least 3 optical inputs. That leaves me with the Outlaw setup, but everything I've been reading about the noise issues has me concerned.

Here are some of the questions that have been haunting me lately. Hopefully some of you very knowledgable people can help me out!

1. Should I really care that much about using the crossover with the NHT system? If I can hook up the LFE channel to the crossover and let the receiver handle everything is that good enough?

2. Are there any good receivers with a main loop where I could properly hook up the external NHT crossover?

3. Are there any other pre/pro/amp solutions I should be looking for in the $2000 price range?

4. If I purchase a Denon 3803 and add an amp later on will I get peformance that's close to a Rotel 1066 + AMP or Outlaw 950 + AMP setup?

5. Am I really going to notice a noise problem with the Outlaw 950? Or has it been blown out of proportion?

6. Should I spend an extra $600 on speakers and go with a 7.1 setup from the start?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the Outlaw 950/770 combo with Rocket 750 / 200 / 300 speakers

no real hiss issues. Slight hiss detckable from 6"- {dead silent from any conceivable listing position}. my older sony was worse .

I was a little concerned so I went to a high end store and listened to some real high end stuff and they had it to with ear pressed to tweater.

It seems some amp/speaker combos can be problematic with the 950

in this regard. But yes I think the whole "hiss" thing it's a tad overblown.

I'm still within my 30 day return period but I'm keeping it.

It does have it's short commings - which are documented here and at outlaws forum.

{Ya really got to hand it to a company that would allow the negitive posts in there own forum}

But it's Price/performance seems like the best option out there ----- for me at least.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.