AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's about 30 days old and looks GREAT with my Panny RP91. I only have regular cable and that looks crappy...only some channels look good.

Like I said, with the rp91, Toy Story looks great, Cast Away, all my movies that are well made look great.

Is there still an advantage to getting the set checked after being bounced around in a truck and rolled into the house, etc, etc. ?

My local tv guy (who is not certified for calibration) said he doesn't think it's worth it. And...it may "open a can of worms" not worth the hassle and $$ .

Any opinions ? How can I tell if it needs it ?

Also: when I use the crosshairs to align, do you sit in front of each crosshair to align or stay centered in front of the screen ?

Jimbo

------------------

Thanks,

Jimbo

·
Registered
219 Posts
I too would recommend you get it ISF'd, but I would wait for a few months to give your TV the proper time to burn in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know of someone in Washington State, near Seattle, to calibrate a Toshiba 55hx70 ?

Also, about how much does it cost, ballpark ?

Jimbo

------------------

Thanks,

Jimbo

·
Registered
101 Posts
 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/image_uploads/gate55.gif

Hi Jimbo!

General rule of thumb states that anytime you have a major movement of a rear projection your convergence will probably be knocked quite a bit off-wack. I have a Toshiba 56H80 that I have had fully ISF'd. This is my fourth set I have owned that has received ISF work and they were all worth it. I am just north of San Francisco. You could call the ISF for a technician in your area. As far as pricing is concerned this can vary quite a bit depending on what you want done. Prices can range from $150 to $800, depending on what's being done. The normal job usually consists of setting correct gray scale, setting convergence for all of your modes (very important), disconnecting SVM and providing you with the proper settings following testing with Video Essential &/or Avia test disc.

There are other tweaks that can be done such as cleaning and setting the lenses, cleaning the mirror, setting manual and electronic focus, installing special black velvet lining inside the set in order to cut down on internal reflections, etc. A good ISF tech will honestly tell you just what services are recommended for your set. Not all set's need all these tweaks. Personally, I have had the fully works done on my set latest set and the results are awesome!
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------

COBRA

. . . Unleash the Hounds of Hell . . .

[This message has been edited by Dark Cobra (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi Jimbo,

Congrats on your 55hx.

A few things. Unless the tv is severely jounced, i.e., dropped a foot or two during transport, it should be okay.

If you find that there are problems with the image, then yes it might be a good idea to get it checked.

ISF certification doesn't guarantee quality. It simply means the person has completed the ISF seminar. If you are thinking about hiring one, find one who has lots of experience on the tosh. Make sure he has the right equipment. Ask for references, call those references, and even preview their sets if possible. We do this when we look for doctors or dentists, why should it be different for video techs.

Since your set is brand new, you might want to wait at least 3 months after lots of regular viewing before you think about getting it calibrated. Mortality rate is highest during the initial months. If the tv fails after calibration, the manufacturer repair would wipe out all the calibrator's work. You'd also lose the $$$ spent on the calibration.

User convergence is okay but it is best not to mess with it. Greater convergence control is done via the 64 pt convergence in the service menu.

More info about all of the above at my site.

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.