AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have attached my work in progress new loft we just bought. I have a NEC 6PG, so it is sitting above the kitchen. Ceilings are drywall, so I am not going to risk hanging it. Here is my dilemma: Should I get in-wall speakers right where my track-lights are? Or should I try to somehow try to run wires through the wall and put speakers next to projector? Since I do have neighbors upstairs, do you think the in-wall speakers will send too much sound upstairs?

The speakers above the kitchen will be back channels for my audio.

Thanks.

P.S Yes, ceiling is 12' high

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Looks to me like a perfect place to mount monopoles like you have them. Maybe on pedestal to point down toward the seating area a bit more (they are kinda high).

I don't see in-ceilings there. Especially I don't see how they would make the wiring job any easier! Getting wires up to the top of the cabinets is going to be a lot easier than getting them up to and then across the ceiling.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It depends on where your amp is located in the house, but my guess is youll have to chew up a lot of sheetrock especially if you put speakers in the ceiling next to the tracklights. I used to do speaker retro-install for a living.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One big disclaimer I forgot is that we will be selling this place after 3 years, since we will be moving to another city (my better half will be done with her PHD). So I do have to make sure I don't end up hurting the value of my place.

I did think about doing every 3 feet by the baseboard an opening (which would be covered later with a plate) and running whole bunch of cable through there and making my place "hi-tech" so later any buyer would be a bit more interested in our place.

My main thing is that wedding is comming in 5 months and my budget is tight. So I have to do things in stages.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Heck, if it's short term, just leave the cable exposed. Or start a philodendron up it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.