AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting together things to wire my house for A/V and networking. I'm wanting to run on main coax cable from outside thru the attic into the closet where my networking and video structured wiring box will be housed.


If I'm using cable tv from Comcast should I install a amplifier at the end of their coax run before it starts the main coax cable run into my house?


What products are recommended?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
You don't mention a cable box. Is this for a standard def cable run?


Normally you don't need an amp. If the TV picture is bad, call Comcast to boast the signal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main coax wire will come into the structured wiring panel and then get split for....


1) cable modem for internet

2) 6-7 tv's


each tv will have a HD cable box.


What coax splitters are best?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 /forum/post/14256802


The main coax wire will come into the structured wiring panel and then get split for....


1) cable modem for internet

2) 6-7 tv's


each tv will have a HD cable box.


What coax splitters are best?

For that many outlets (whether HD or not), you will need an amplifier. Look at the amplifiers and splitters at http://www.cencom94.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/14257231


For that many outlets (whether HD or not), you will need an amplifier. Look at the amplifiers and splitters at http://www.cencom94.com

My thought is that if you are paying for that many cable boxes, then Comcast should insure that there is enough signal for each box, and if an amp is needed, they should provide it. Normally they will check that each box is working when they install them and boost the signal, if needed, at their cable amplifier feeding your house. They should even supply the splitters.


It's their job to see that everything works, not yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow /forum/post/14257445


My thought is that if you are paying for that many cable boxes, then Comcast should insure that there is enough signal for each box, and if an amp is needed, they should provide it. Normally they will check that each box is working when they install them and boost the signal, if needed, at their cable amplifier feeding your house. They should even supply the splitters.


It's their job to see that everything works, not yours.

They are responsible up to the groundblock. After that, it is the homeowner's domain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/14257976


They are responsible up to the groundblock. After that, it is the homeowner's domain.

So you are saying the cable man will come in to install seven cable boxes and, when they don't work, will say that's the homeowner's problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow /forum/post/14260585


So you are saying the cable man will come in to install seven cable boxes and, when they don't work, will say that's the homeowner's problem?

No, I am not saying that. Maybe they will install an amp. Maybe they won't.


On the other side of the equation, if I have service installed with 3 outlets and later finish my basement and have an additional 4 or 5 outlets, why should I expect them to come out and install an amplifier for free. I created the situation.


The phone company only provides service to the house. They won't do anything inside the house without charging extra. Other than the initial install itself, why should the cable company be expected to do different?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/14261185


The phone company only provides service to the house. They won't do anything inside the house without charging extra. Other than the initial install itself, why should the cable company be expected to do different?

But the phone company doesn't install anything in my house anymore. If I install my own equipment, then I understand the buck stops at the entrance to my house. And if I add cable outlets and add my own converter boxes or go directly to a TV, then it seems reasonable that it's up to me to see that it works.


But if a cable company installs one of their boxes in my house, then I expect them to insure that it works, at least if they want to keep me as a customer.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top