AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using inwalls for the surrounds in my new home theater. One of the walls will be an exterior wall and I would normally fill that cavity with batting. Will it effect the performance of an inwall speaker if the cavity is insulated ??

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It may depend on the speaker model. In general, if you're mounting cabinet speakers in bookcases and whatnot, you want to add sound insulation baffling around the speaker, to give it a tighter sound, avoiding any resonance. A correctly constructed wall speaker should give you the same thing -- insulation will improve the sound. You should probably make sure you do the same thing for all the in-wall speakers, though, else you'll have different characteristics from different channels. I e, insulate all, or none. (I'd go for the insulation, assuming the wall speakers have their own in-wall cabinet and reflex port)

Just make sure cooling is adequate, especially if they are high power speakers or internally amplified.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.