AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can exchange and pay $100 more for an A630. Is the A630 better PQ wise? I know that the A530 has better sound for sure, and thats important because i don't like to have my surround sound system turned on all the time (just for movies). Does the 120hz effect PQ overall, or just for motion? ANd the last question (and most important)....does the A630 have better off center viewing than the A530? Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
yes. Oh my god, for 100 dollars. Walk in the store and do it. The 630 is amazing. It has the anti-glare screen, 40,000:1 contrast ratio, and in my opinion the most important thing for action and sports (I love action movies) 120 hz refresh rate. It is a great set and certainly worth the 100 dollars. Do it as fast as you can!

·
Registered
29 Posts
120 HZ will affect anything you watch, but it does jitter if you keep it up too high. But, if you keep it on the first or second option you should be fine. The colors are more vivid on the 630 and I never really heard any great difference in the speakers. But, then again, a lot of sets don't have fantastic speakers. Regardless, 100 dollars isn't alot of money when you already spent 1300 or 1400. The 120 HZ itself is worth that much.

(Oh and they have very similar screens, so your side to side viewing isn't gunna change too much at all on either set.)

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethnwoodman /forum/post/15530039

120 HZ will affect anything you watch, but it does jitter if you keep it up too high. But, if you keep it on the first or second option you should be fine. The colors are more vivid on the 630 and I never really heard any great difference in the speakers. But, then again, a lot of sets don't have fantastic speakers. Regardless, 100 dollars isn't alot of money when you already spent 1300 or 1400. The 120 HZ itself is worth that much.

(Oh and they have very similar screens, so your side to side viewing isn't gunna change too much at all on either set.)

You are confused about 120hz refresh rate and AMO. 120hz is always on and cannot be turned off. You are referring to the AMP feature which has 3 levels. At the highest level there are some motion artifacts and judder that can be turned off with a service menu adjustment.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/15529990

I can exchange and pay $100 more for an A630. Is the A630 better PQ wise?

Yes, it is.

Don't why exactly (and it's more than just the 120 Hz), but the 6 Series Samsungs do have noticeably better pic quality than 5 Series and below.

It's not night and day better, but it's definitely there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there anything better about the A530, or is it just the sound? Some people don't like 120hz, or at least complain about it..why is that? I think i will get both of them set up in my house side-by-side and make the final choice about which one i'll keep. (the better speakers are a big deal because i can't have it on loud all the time because of other tenants). IS OVERALL IMAGE QUALITY A BIG DIFFERENCE ON THE 2 TVS? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Seeing them side by side is smart.

Btw, if you want the 6 Series image quality and 120 Hz, WITH good built-in sound, that's what the 7 Series is (A750).

7 Series and 6 Series are about the same price on Amazon too. Occasionally, the 7 Series sets are even slightly cheaper over there.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Apologies about my ignorance - in what way is the 7 series' audio better than the 6 series? (i.e. Fuller? Louder?) And is it a considerable difference?

This will be helpful in a situation where the LCD is on a rolling cart to be moved from location to location and one can't set up a dedicated surround sound system.

Thanks,

UL

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
7 Series has built-in subwoofer.

It's still not going to sound as nice as a dedicated surround system (obviously), but, better than the 6 Series.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does the A530 and the A630 have the same picture quality? I'm not talking about sports (don't watch sports). I mean like overall watching SD and HD shows and DVDs etc

If there was a regular show on tv, and these tvs were side-by-side, would you be able to tell the difference?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/15530656

Does the A530 and the A630 have the same picture quality? I'm not talking about sports (don't watch sports). I mean like overall watching SD and HD shows and DVDs etc

If there was a regular show on tv, and these tvs were side-by-side, would you be able to tell the difference?

Huh, thought I answered that one already. With HD content, yes, the A630 (6 Series) has better pic quality than the A530 (5 Series), even aside from sports. As I said before, it's not just the 120 Hz/motion-handling. The pic quality itself is better.

As I also said, it's not night-and-day better, but it is noticeable. If you think the A530's pic quality is a '7' or a 7.5 on a scale of 1 to 10, then you'll probably think the A630 is an '8'. It's better, you can tell in a side-by-side comparison, but it's not a blowout.

Again, the above comments are for HD content. Haven't seen either set enough with SD content to make any firm judgements there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts