AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let me start off by saying i've done a good deal of Research on LCD/LED/Plasma's and all the pro's and cons for the most part. With that in mind i'd like to explain my story abit without making this to lengthy.

I intially set out to get a nice 50+in HDTV for Gaming as well as the occasional Blueray movie. So i picked up the brand new Panasonic 50in Plasma S2, I noticed when i first hooked it up it didn't look as nice as my dad's 46in samsung 500serie LCD. I took this with a grain of salt cause i heard people say some of the plasma's require a breakin period/warm up for the colors to really be vibrate.

The first thing I did with this TV was Set it on the Game mode and play alittle COD4 MW2( Online First person shooter for those that don't know), at first i wasn't overall impressed, but for some reason i was able to have a faster reaction on the majority of the people i encounter and my K/D(Kill to death ratio) went through the roof. I was like damn, could a tv really do this ?

So I watched Transformers 2 (My benchmark movie for HDTV's) and wasn't that impressed with the "greens" and sure enough after alittle of research on here I saw a Calibrator on this forum talk about the Gamma and the Cyan/Greens of the tv being horrible and that particular model being a flop.

So I returned the TV for the a Samsung 52" LCD 240Hz LN52B750U1F model TV, honestly the picture is abit sharper but for some reason the MW2 game seems laggy to me and overall just am not happy with it (Especially since it cost me 550$ more for it)

Do you think more calibrations can be done to the Samsung (Already tryed some of the ones on this forum and CNet) or is the lag just that bad on this tv ? Im seriously consider switching back to a Plasma for the cost/performance ratio. Any sugggestions ?

Thanks !!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sounds like you've done some real good in-house testing and your eyes still arent happy so perhaps you dont have the right tv yet. I'd suggest trying a Samsung plasma, at least a 5 series. And dont leave out the lower series 720p sets because that's what caught my eye when I started looking. I decided to get a 1080p capable but I think I'm safe in saying that I'll never see the difference. I have a PN50B550.

I'd like to add that research is great but I started going in circles with that, and reading posts here so in the end went with what my eyes liked best.

LCD and Plasma both have pros and cons, but neither have cons so bad that you could call them junk. Both can and do have excellent picture quality depending on the models and cost.

In an ideal tv viewing room (for any type of tv) which has nice lighting, perhaps on the dim side my opinion is that plasma really comes alive in that environment. Try the Samsung plasma, see what you think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw5599 /forum/post/18249393

Sounds like you've done some real good in-house testing and your eyes still arent happy so perhaps you dont have the right tv yet. I'd suggest trying a Samsung plasma, at least a 5 series. And dont leave out the lower series 720p sets because that's what caught my eye when I started looking. I decided to get a 1080p capable but I think I'm safe in saying that I'll never see the difference. I have a PN50B550.

I'd like to add that research is great but I started going in circles with that, and reading posts here so in the end went with what my eyes liked best.

LCD and Plasma both have pros and cons, but neither have cons so bad that you could call them junk. Both can and do have excellent picture quality depending on the models and cost.

In an ideal tv viewing room (for any type of tv) which has nice lighting, perhaps on the dim side my opinion is that plasma really comes alive in that environment. Try the Samsung plasma, see what you think.

Aperciate the quick reply, yea i toosed the idea around about the Samsung plasmas. I guess im giving Panasonic the benifit of doubt due to them mainly making plasma model tv's.

Thanks again

·
Registered
8,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo TM /forum/post/18250240

I've reviewed the 46B750 (UK Models) and it was an excellent set, but the lag was borderline acceptable for casual gamers, but not the hardcore

Review

How to reduce the lag

Hope it helps

I always wanted to know what kind of tv a reviewer owned:

Which tv's you have in your house,and what tv's you really really like?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I really like the V20 and you can clearly see why from the images below. But being a full-time student, it's not easy to get a performance level display, so atm, I just have a 26" BRAVIA with Samsung's PVA panel.

I am hoping to upgrade to the V20 by this fall (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_Iratus /forum/post/18248333

Ok, let me start off by saying i've done a good deal of Research on LCD/LED/Plasma's and all the pro's and cons for the most part. With that in mind i'd like to explain my story abit without making this to lengthy.

I intially set out to get a nice 50+in HDTV for Gaming as well as the occasional Blueray movie. So i picked up the brand new Panasonic 50in Plasma S2, I noticed when i first hooked it up it didn't look as nice as my dad's 46in samsung 500serie LCD. I took this with a grain of salt cause i heard people say some of the plasma's require a breakin period/warm up for the colors to really be vibrate.

The first thing I did with this TV was Set it on the Game mode and play alittle COD4 MW2( Online First person shooter for those that don't know), at first i wasn't overall impressed, but for some reason i was able to have a faster reaction on the majority of the people i encounter and my K/D(Kill to death ratio) went through the roof. I was like damn, could a tv really do this ?

So I watched Transformers 2 (My benchmark movie for HDTV's) and wasn't that impressed with the "greens" and sure enough after alittle of research on here I saw a Calibrator on this forum talk about the Gamma and the Cyan/Greens of the tv being horrible and that particular model being a flop.

So I returned the TV for the a Samsung 52" LCD 240Hz LN52B750U1F model TV, honestly the picture is abit sharper but for some reason the MW2 game seems laggy to me and overall just am not happy with it (Especially since it cost me 550$ more for it)

Do you think more calibrations can be done to the Samsung (Already tryed some of the ones on this forum and CNet) or is the lag just that bad on this tv ? Im seriously consider switching back to a Plasma for the cost/performance ratio. Any sugggestions ?

Thanks !!!

LCD's are laggy compared to plasmas and CRT. The reason you were racking up such a high kill ration is because you were probably playing against people who are using LCD's. Their reaction time will be slower than yours when you are using a plasma.

However, there are some LCD's that are very good for gaming (not as good as a plasma or CRT, but much much better than most other LCD's) I'm not sure which models those are, but a quick search around these forums should be able to find the threads discussing them (search for Gaming and Lag threads)

And don't sweat the colors being off in your tv...that can be fixed. You just need to calibrate your tv. You can pay for someone to do it, or try to learn to do it yourself (if you have a Samsung or Sony TV, doing it yourself is very accessible but requires tons of research) and your colors will end up much better. The Picture Quality on any mid-range or better Plasma or LCD is more than good enough for 99% of the population, especially once they've been properly adjusted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts