AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used my 10HT for over 3 years, and it is time for the 2nd replacement of the lamp. Should I have the lamp replaced (cost US$500 in Hong Kong) or sell the projector now (get back US$600) and invest in a new DLP projector, say the Sharp 10000 or the later 12000. Any suggestion to me.

Regards,

Gary

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
My friend is in exactly your situation.

I can promise you that upgrading to a decent HD2 machine will make a world of difference. Black-level, color saturation, image smoothness along with "apparent" resolution (whether driving via component or DVI) look improved on HD2 when comparing to the 10HT (the apparent res improvemtn is due to elctronics and optics as we know that the panel-resolution of the 10HT is actually higher than HD2).

In other words, if you do upgrade you'll gain a real improvement from doing so.

Only thing I'd suggest...don't go higher than $6K...IMO keeping it under $5k with the BenQ might be even smarter. Remember all those "wait" mystery things that never showed up at CEDIA? Where they're still *coming*...and they're just as real. So IMO it's smart to keep the checkbook investment reasonable if you upgrade to HD2 now in case a year or two from now you're ready to step up to the substantial improvement in projection technology that will then be available.

-dave

·
Registered
909 Posts
Depends on your financial situation I guess. If you are happy with your HT10 then stick to it because if you knew what was out there it will certainly hurt your wallet.

If you got money to burn then like most here, I believe you will truly experience a huge huge quantum leap in picture quality for a price similar to the HT10 when you purchased it.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Gary,

If you were reasonably happy with the 10HT, then you might want to consider the HS20. Adds MLA, variable iris, HDMI and DVI inputs and I'm guessing it is quite a bit quieter. I prefer those DLPs, but the HS20 looks like quite a bit for the price. For that matter, so does the new Panasonic AE500.

Of course, this all depends on how much the jump from one level to the next is worth to you. I may end up upgrading my 10k to a 12k myself.

--Darin

·
Registered
201 Posts
Gary,

I'm in exactly the same position as you. As Darinp suggests, I will be replacing my VW-10HT with the HS-20 when it's available (which should be pretty soon!). Several factors colored my decision: contrast ratio (1300:1 in cinema black mode vs. my 10HT's 180:1 after SmartIII calibration!), DVI input, MLA for less screendoor, not to mention the fact that the optics and mounting hardware are identical so I'll be able to remove the 10HT from it's ceiling mount and install the HS-20 in the same place, no muss, no fuss...

I also figure that by the time HD-DVD is readily available, the projectors that can fully resolve them (1920x1080) will be more resonably priced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear Dave,

I finally bought Sharp XV-Z10000 and it was installed at my home on 16 Oct 2003, not BenQ projectors for home theatre are available in Hong Kong. The quality of the picture of Z10000 is a big step forward of that of 10HT. I think I shall sleep shorter time now as I will have to re-watch my DVD collection with the new projector. Should I buy a affordable scaler with 720P output for a new Sharp. Thanks for your advice.

Gary

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Remember all those "wait" mystery things that never showed up at CEDIA? Where (*well) they're still *coming*...DaVid

:) Obscure thread but how on the money DaVid is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.