AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dedicated room (13' x 13') for my home theatre, and have been using a Dell 2100MP projector for the last few years. After enjoying HD DVDs and the Xbox 360 on a small LCD flat panel that I have, I haven't really been able to deal with the 800x600 resolution of my old projector any more.

So, obviously, I'm ready to get a high-def display in my theatre, but have been having a ridiculous time reaching a final decision.

I initially planned to purchase an Optoma HD70 projector, but after seeing some large flat panels in action, I have been considering going with the Panasonic 50" TH-50PX75U or Samsung 50" HP-T5054 plasma displays.

I see the devices with the following pros and cons, and as a result, I'm in sort of a stalemate on what direction to go in:

~Projector~

Pros: BIG picture; far easier on the wallet

Cons: Not as fine a picture as a nice plasma display; fan noise; bulb replacement cost

~Plasma Display~

Pros: Great HD picture; no loud fan noise overhead; no bulb replacement

Cons: Hefty purchase price; considerably smaller picture than projector; possibly not as impressive of a home theatre experience as what I've had with projection. (I'm not sure if the improved picture quality of a plasma would outweigh that last point or not.)

Can anyone offer any "Here's what I would do" opinions?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Fatsquatch -- It sounds like you haven't been reading the reviews, most of the 1080p front projectors have excellent picture quality - the equivalent of the current crop of plasma displays (an under $2000 1080p PJ can match a $3500 1080p plasma and give you 100" display vs 50" (4x the picture area). Also, except for the Epson PJs, the under $3K PJs are also very quiet. Even the Epson Home Cinema 1080 PJ is dramatically quieter than your old Dell 2100MP (which is a "business" PJ not a "home theater" PJ).

The PJ lamp costs are really only significant if you have the PJ on 24/7 (which is why we use a 32" LCD display for normal TV viewing). I would consider 40 hours/week to be fairly heavy PJ use, and that corresponds to a new lamp every year in the high power lamp mode. Typically I run half that use and run in the eco (low power lamp) mode which gives me 1.5 to 3+ years of lamp life, depending on the PJ. Example, the Mitsubishi HC4900, in Eco mode is rated at 5000 hours = half the life of a plasma display (at 2/3 the cost, and a fan noise level of 19dB, maximum).

As you can see, I echo Jim McC's sentiments. The PJ is the only
way to go.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I'd challenge your assumption that plasmas give a better image.

I recently tried out a Panasonic plasma (42" X series) at my house against my projector.

The plasma was brighter, but the projector gave a much better image in the sreas I find important, ie it had deeper blacks and better shadow detail.

The new Pioneer Kuros may change the equation, but I was sorely disappointed by plasma. On the other hand, the LCDs I tried were even worse.

So get a projector.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, all. I really appreciate it.

What are my options for a good 1080p projector under $2k?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
"What are my options for a good 1080p projector under $2k?"

Mitsubishi HC4900 is the only one and is very popular on this board for that reason.

·
Registered
601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/12928214

"What are my options for a good 1080p projector under $2k?"

Mitsubishi HC4900 is the only one and is very popular on this board for that reason.

No, not the only one - the Sanyo PLVZ2000 is native 1080p and can also be had for well under $2000 after rebate from forum sponsors. At the going price, it's only a couple hundred more than I paid for my Z5 last year

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have a look at the Sanyo PLV-Z2000. Saw it a few days ago on a 120" screen and looked great to me. Keep in mind this was my 1st experience seeing a 1080p FP in a proper HT showroom, so was probably going to be awed regardless of whatever 1080p FP I saw. YMMV!

Great price on this ($1595 if my calculations are accurate) use the playoff100 coupon plus the 2 $300 limited time rebates. See url below:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/proje...yo+PLV%2DZ2000

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Projector all the way.

If you want to consider DLP, check these out.

1080p - both are a little over your budget

Optoma HD80

Benq W10000

If you're not sitting really close to the screen, check out the Infocus 7210 (720p) as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
another thing to consider though... a 13 x13 room may limit your screen size for your projector - I have a 13' throw distance and my projector is limited to about 70-80 inches(I just set it up and cant find my tape measure yet.)

70-80 inches is still big, but just take it into consideration if you were all excited about a 100"+ screen, it may not happen.

Of course this is projector dependant as well.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Why not get both - thats what I did. If your budget is around $2000, you can get the Panny for about $1400- BTW a great plasma, then you have about $600 left over add a couple of hundred more and get a 720p PJ. I got the Sanyo Z5 (720p) and I love it - nothing beats gaming on a 100" screen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts