AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started construction on my new theater and want to pose a question to you guys. In my last room, which was 12x22, I had the Ascend 340's across the front and htm200's for surrounds. Outlaw audio lfm-1 x 2 for bass duty. I thought it was a really good setup.

Anyway I have been trying to figure out what to use in my new room. Its bigger at 20x25 (and has a open back) so I have in my mind I need bigger speakers, but deep down I'm thinking maybe I should still consider the Ascend 340's. Everything else I look at is either out of my budget or is a tower with smaller drivers.

I've already purchased dual Outlaw LFM-1 ex subs (couldn't resist the recent sale) and my remaining budget for speakers (LCR and side/rears) is ~$1800. My old room was powered by Outlaw audio pre/pro setup, but I'm thinking of going with an Onkyo TX-NR3007 receiver (once again budget restraints) to power my new setup.

Any suggestions? Ascend does not make a bipole surround speaker which is the way I want to go with the new room. Anyone suggest a good surround speaker that would match the ascends if I go with them again? How about a full setup with my budget in mind?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to reply to my own thread. Here is a setup I was considering instead of the Ascends:

Axiom M50 (L/R)

Axiom VP150 center

Axiom QX4 surrounds (2 pair)

Total price with shipping $1950 which is close enough to $1800 in my opinion. I can get the Ascend 340's across the front for about $880 which is would put them about $300 below the axioms.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got problems...here's another setup:

Energy CF50 mains

Energy CC10 center

Energy RCR x 2 surrounds

$1750 shipped

What do you think?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Are these the SE version of the 340's?

The 340's will handle that size room with no problem. The M50 would sound significantly different. Not sure about the Energy. The 340's are actually more comparable to the M60.

For a bipole, without getting into the bipole, dipole, or direct debate, try the Axioms or M&K's.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the Ascend 340se's.

·
Registered
29,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mderka /forum/post/18289109

I've got problems...here's another setup:

Energy CF50 mains

Energy CC10 center

Energy RCR x 2 surrounds

$1750 shipped

What do you think?

That's not a good deal at all, you're paying list prices. Make a phone call to the vendor and try to get a package deal.

·
Registered
752 Posts
IMO, you should stick with what you have now. It should still sound great in the bigger room

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menasor /forum/post/18290783

IMO, you should stick with what you have now. It should still sound great in the bigger room

I would love to stick with the Acsends. Problem is they were sold with the old house when we moved so I would have to buy them all over again.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there an award for the most replys to one's own thread?

I have a pair of Cambridge Soundworks T500 towers I could use as my mains. How do you think they would work for my room and what kind of center would sonically match up?

Long story short when I moved to the new house I actually swapped houses with a friend of mine. He left his basement "theater" which consisted of a 63" 1080p plasma, onkyo receiver, Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 system bluray etc with the above towers and I left my theater equipment in my house (yes he gave me some additional money for my stuff).

I was thinking of calling him up and seeing if he wants his T500's back for a pair of the Ascend 340's in my old room.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mderka /forum/post/18291855

I was thinking of calling him up and seeing if he wants his T500's back for a pair of the Ascend 340's in my old room.

Ahhh...I get it now.

Maybe you two should do a comparison.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I spoke to my friend who bought my house. He said he would have no problem swapping the CS T500's for my Ascend 340se's that are mounted on pedestals as long as they fit in his room (which they will because I built the damn thing).

So if that work out I will only need a matching center channel and surrounds. This should be totally doable for $1800.

I will let you know how it works out. I will also be starting a thread in the theater building forum once I get some pictures taken.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Axiom and Ascend have very different sound personalities. If you have Ascend now and really like it, I would stick to what you have or upgrade to bigger, badder Ascends

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/18293334

Axiom and Ascend have very different sound personalities. If you have Ascend now and really like it, I would stick to what you have or upgrade to bigger, badder Ascends

Unfortunately Ascend doesn't make a bipole speaker and this room will need a little more diffuse sound for the surrounds so I need to find something that will match up.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mderka /forum/post/18294305

Unfortunately Ascend doesn't make a bipole speaker and this room will need a little more diffuse sound for the surrounds so I need to find something that will match up.

I wonder if Aperion's Intimus bipole would be a decent match for a surround? They both have soft dome tweeters - Aperion has free 2 way shipping...

Ron

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/18294368

I wonder if Aperion's Intimus bipole would be a decent match for a surround? They both have soft dome tweeters - Aperion has free 2 way shipping...

Ron

The Aperion line is a bit brighter than Ascend's speakers and not as flat IMO. I'm thinking Emotiva's speaker will match better. Link below:

http://emotiva.com/erd1.shtm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts