AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry bout the bad pic but i was thinking about puttin acoustic panel behind the center channel, but part of panel would be behind my projector screen, would it defeat the purpose or effect the acoustic in anyway? thanks

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_007 /forum/post/15588181

i was thinking about puttin acoustic panel behind the center channe

That's not the first place to treat. Most important are corner bass traps and absorbers at the side-wall and ceiling reflection points. One that's done, maybe then you'd consider absorption on the front wall.

--Ethan

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i do plan on putting panels on all walls just was in the process in determinin if i should waste my money on a panel for that location

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow thats a serious article, ethan, and i thank you for providing it, would my center channel speaker fall in this catagorie? oh and i plan to use a small 24''x24'' panel behind the center channel? What do u think?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
In my room putting a big thick absorber about where your coffee table is, under that screen, at the floor-wall corner made a big difference. I'd suggest replacing that coffee table with a solid block of rigid (703 equivalent) fiberglass (or similar) covered to make it look pretty. You might want to hide a stand for the center speaker inside the absorber, but rigid fiberglass is fine for holding up other trinkets. Or just fill the space under the table with absorber. Your Room Maybe Different (YRMD)

Edit: If you own your home, I have a suggestion. Almost any attic can use more insulation. Buy some nice insulation, but before you open the packaging, place them where your table is under that screen in the front center wall-floor corner.

Put your center on top of it. See if you hear a difference. If so, replace it with something more effective and pretty. If not, use it in the attic, or return it unopened for a full refund.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think that there are a couple of issues here to identify.

1. Floyd Toole argues for putting thick absorption on the front wall between the main speakers.

2. Ethan's article deals with thin absorption on the front wall.

3. The center channel appears to be fairly close to the front wall. If so, there may be a significant cancellation or null somewhere below 200 Hz, which typically requires more than 1" thick fiberglass to absorb well.

If the screen is acoustically translucent, there may be some small value to putting a thicker panel behind the center channel speaker, but it would be hard to quantify this value. If the question is "would it...[a]ffect the acoustic in anyway" for a 24" square panel that's less than 3" thick, then the answer would be "yes, but extremely little."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts