AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this progressive scan player for just under $250.00. I have been searching around for progressive scan players for the last few weeks and I stumbled upon this one. For those of you who have it, what are the pros and cons of this player? Would you recommend this player or another one for the same price? My HDTV does not have optical audio inputs so the Panasonic PR56 is out of the question. By the way, does this player have component inputs? All I have read on the specs is s-video and composite.

· Registered
105 Posts
Yes it has component outputs...

1 set Y/Pr/Pb out

http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/dvd/curr...tail.html#spec

It has received good reviews... I'm weighing it as the low end of what I am looking at myself. SD9200 seems to be pretty good as well.

Denon and Phillips in the running. Then Sony...

Just one man's opinion...

· Registered
226 Posts
component video outputs are required for progressive scan - composite and s-video connections lack the bandwidth necessary for a 480p signal - so yes :)

the weaknesses of this player are the chroma bug (slight), and you have to manually change between digital and analog audio outputs

· Registered
188 Posts
I would wholeheartedly recommend AGAINST the Toshiba. I compared the 5700, the Philips Q50, and my own RP91 on a buddy's Sharp 9000 DLP projector. The chroma bug on the Toshiba was terribly noticable to me, minimal on the Q50, and obviously non-existant on the RP91. I love Toshiba TVs (I cling to my 10 year old CinemaSeries), but I cannot understand for the life of me the favorable reviews the Tosh 5700 has gotten. The Q50 was an ergonomic nightmare, and in the end the RP91 came out on top for image detail and fidelity. The 5700 has no black level control (0/7.5 IRE, it seems to be at 7.5) and no ability to do any adjustments for DVD-A. At least the RP91 has rudimentary controls there.

IMHO, there is still no competitor to the RP91 at its price point when you look at video performance and adjustability - especially AR control. I think of it having DVD-A for free. I won't say it's perfect though.

I do wish there was a Faroudja or SI solution with the plethora of video adjustments the RP91 has. The video deinterlacing of the Froudja is amazing when you see it versus anything else.

- Dieter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.