AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Room dimensions are 23'x16'9"x10. I am considering putting in a floating ceiling using 2x6s across the span to decouple the ceiling from the floor joists above. This would drop my ceiling to about 9'4".

I like the look of tray ceilings with rope lighting, but that would then drop the outer ceiling to 8'4". I see a lot of the theaters with tray ceilings, but is this because you had to run a soffit for HVAC, or strictly cosmetics?

Any opinions on whether to tray or not to tray are welcome.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
One of my soffits is to cover pipes.. the other side was done mostly to make the room look even.

You could always do a tray ceiling less than a foot, which would make the outer ceiling more than 8'4 (which isn't a horrible height).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I had some duct work to cover but I really wanted the tray ceiling. It really gives you so many lighting options to make yours unique. Star fields, clouds, wood trimed, indirect lighting or just flat black, it really gives you the theater feel. Don't get me wrong, I am sure you will find many incredible rooms in this forum with out them.

My formal seating does not go to the back of the room yet I cut the ceiling down for the last 6' in the back. I started with 9' and the soffits come down to just under 8'. The center 9' area is fairly large so when you are standing on the riser (12") you for the most part are under the 9' ceiling. With 10" to work with I would definately consider it. Mine isn't quite finished but it is drywalled and painted and I already love it.

Also consider the number of rows. With 23' you could get a third row and two riser heights. I have 26' but my third row is informal bar seating on the floor level. A third row (depending on riser height) could put you up closer to the ceiling.

You also have a slightly wider room than I so you may be considering isles down both sides. Maybe this will sway you away from the soffits.

So many variables but it all comes down to what you like. Go to the complete builds and just start scanning photos. Take notes on things you like and things you don't and in the end compile what you like. Either it will have a trayed ceiling or it won't.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have one wall at a 45 degree angle and the others all straight. I am designing my ceiling with a soffit and a tray. I am doing it for looks, function and to straighten the ceiling out to make it look symmetrical.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotwell /forum/post/14339405

Room dimensions are 23'x16'9"x10. I am considering putting in a floating ceiling using 2x6s across the span to decouple the ceiling from the floor joists above. This would drop my ceiling to about 9'4".

I like the look of tray ceilings with rope lighting, but that would then drop the outer ceiling to 8'4". I see a lot of the theaters with tray ceilings, but is this because you had to run a soffit for HVAC, or strictly cosmetics?

Any opinions on whether to tray or not to tray are welcome.

I have a room that I'm building out that's around the same dimensions (a little longer and a little narrower). I'm putting in soffits for all of the above reasons. Also, take a look at RSIC clips and hat track for decoupling your ceiling. They don't work quite as well as a room-within-a-room solution, but it is easy, fairly inexpensive, and you are only losing about 2" of height.

Where in Charlotte are you?

CJ

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I did a trey ceiling and love it. I had to include a soffit on one side of the room, but I thought it looked nicer to wrap it around the room and create a trey. This provided a great location for my LED lights as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts