AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
yes, the morel are still there.
You could also go through the classifieds for bookshelf speakers. There might be 2nd hand deals that would be better than Klipsch.
Some I'm seeing currently:

** JBL studio 530 - these are many AVSF members favorites (if you don't hate their looks and the cherry finish, he sells them for too much imo)
On sale for $420 from JBL though:
Studio 530 | Professional-quality 125-watt Bookshelf Speakers
they may not ship them to Israel, but you can get a quote on them from:
IDGU | קניות דרך אמזון בעברית- קניות בחול במחיר סופי ללא הפתעות
It will surely be cheaper than this seller. Or you could use that pricing to lower his asking price. Please note that Idgu is not only for buying from Amazon.
You can provide them a direct link to any shop and product and they'll send you a final price delivered offer. They usually respond with the offer within 24 hours.

I think the experts would recommend those over the Klipsch and they are cheaper too. They are horn loaded like your Klipsch center.

Others on classifieds:
Focal Chorus 806V
Focal Cobalt 806S
Focal 706 / 906
Elac Debut Reference (I think they usually have more specific model names/numbers)
B&W 685

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
@mokagino
btw, these JBLs go on even deeper discounts/sales very often. You may be able to get them as low as $280-$300 with some patience.
You can track deals here:
You can have a look at some threads:

Wait and see what the more experienced users say about them for your space (if they are not too small). It would be important to get clearance from your wife on their looks too :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
@mokagino
btw, these JBLs go on even deeper discounts/sales very often. You may be able to get them as low as $280-$300 with some patience.
You can track deals here:
You can have a look at some threads:

Wait and see what the more experienced users say about them for your space (if they are not too small). It would be important to get clearance from your wife on their looks too :)
Thanks Alex, you are very helpful with all the searching and answers!
btw, sold the polk s35 for 1500nis, almost the price I paid (payed 1400).

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thanks Alex, you are very helpful with all the searching and answers!
btw, sold the polk s35 for 1500nis, almost the price I paid (payed 1400).
Awesome!
You may want to "highlight" the other responders (like Zorba922 and sigpig) here if you are considering that JBL 530. They may not notice it otherwise. It has a smaller driver than the Klipsch and Monitor Audio, so I don't know if it would be considered "large" enough for your living room. You'll need someone with better understanding than me for that. They are highly regarded here. I definitely wouldn't buy the one on the 2nd hand boards for 3,700. You can get it for 1/2 or less imported (certainly if you wait for a better sale which is likely to come sooner or later) and in a different color. The cherry finish imo would not mesh well with the colors you have going in your living room.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Yes, the 530s are smaller speakers, and I "think" I read that with their combination of sensitivity and power handling that they are physically not capable of playing at Reference SPL at a normal seating distance. Otherwise, they have had glowing reviews on here from people I trust.
The Klipsch speakers will be slightly more sensitive, have larger drivers, and, frankly, look a heck of a lot better. Klipsch also has a number of centre speakers in their Reference Premier series that are designed for different placement restraints. The matching JBL centre uses two 4" (10cm) drivers, making me "suspect" that will have the same issues as the 530. That centre speaker is also the "matching" centre to their MUCH larger 5.25", 6.5", and 8" towers (570, 580, and 590).
I can't stress enough that the best way to shop for speakers is to bring them into your room and listen to them with your own electronics, source, and material.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yes, the 530s are smaller speakers, and I "think" I read that with their combination of sensitivity and power handling that they are physically not capable of playing at Reference SPL at a normal seating distance. Otherwise, they have had glowing reviews on here from people I trust.
The Klipsch speakers will be slightly more sensitive, have larger drivers, and, frankly, look a heck of a lot better. Klipsch also has a number of centre speakers in their Reference Premier series that are designed for different placement restraints. The matching JBL centre uses two 4" (10cm) drivers, making me "suspect" that will have the same issues as the 530. That centre speaker is also the "matching" centre to their MUCH larger 5.25", 6.5", and 8" towers (570, 580, and 590).
I can't stress enough that the best way to shop for speakers is to bring them into your room and listen to them with your own electronics, source, and material.
Thought they'd be too small. He already bought the Klipsch 504 center and was waiting for Black Friday to get Klipsch 600m. But he was told those might be too small.
Home auditioning is not something common to offer here. We don't have Best Buy, Amazon or Crutchfield with easy returns. I suspect in .ca it's not as easy as in the US either?
I've listed some 2nd hand options on post #101 if you have input on those.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
For now i will wait for the new receiver to come (maybe tomorrow?) and wait for the back shelfs so i'll be able to put the JBL arena 120 on them and move the SVS PE back to front high, let the Anthem do it magic and then I'll see if i need anything else.
So for now, thanks again for the help, you cost me a lot of money 😆 but it was wroth it big time!
@AlexLac @Zorba922 @sigpig

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Hi again,
The reciver is here, connected and tuned via the Arc.
The sound is amazing! but as not as the Denon, I cannot choose to run a movie as TrueHD if all the speakers (9.2) connected. It chooses the Atmos without the option to change it and now I need to think again how to connect the speakers the right way.
attached an image
orange = back
green = surround (I know it need to be in one line of the ears so let me know where is the best place to connect them)
pink = on wall front
purple = front
light blue = sub
yellow = center
i'm planning to buy 2 more speakers to put on the ceiling right on top of the sofa.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hi again,
The reciver is here, connected and tuned via the Arc.
The sound is amazing! but as not as the Denon, I cannot choose to run a movie as TrueHD if all the speakers (9.2) connected. It chooses the Atmos without the option to change it and now I need to think again how to connect the speakers the right way.
attached an image
orange = back
green = surround (I know it need to be in one line of the ears so let me know where is the best place to connect them)
pink = on wall front
purple = front
light blue = sub
yellow = center
i'm planning to buy 2 more speakers to put on the ceiling right on top of the sofa.

Thanks!
Very nice!

I want an Anthem too, but I'm too cheap to pay so much for an AVR lol.
I don't know much about how it works, so additional questions you need to wait for sigpig or post on the Anthem thread where you can find lots of owners with vast experience.

Few notes:

1) orange = back - should be set as Side Surrounds or Surrouds L/R not as Rear surround. That is the surround channel that has the most output in a 5.1.X/7.1.X mix

2) green = surround - At their current location, set them as Top Middle L/R (5.1.4 config). Or move them behind the couch and assign them as rear surround (7.1.2 config)
Look here:
Since your couch is flushed with the back wall, you don't have real clearance to place rear surround further to the back. Many have the same situation so they just use side surrounds.

3) AVR - You mean you can't change sound modes like Denon allows you? Like to Stereo, All Channel Stereo and other simulated modes which are not the source audio configuration? You'll need to ask about that someone who owns an Anthem. But, Atmos is TrueHD. Just with height objects sounds. As long as you play an Atmos soundtrack and have height speakers connected, it is expected for the AVR to use Atmos mode. If you want to test it, play something without Atmos (traditional 5.1 or 7.1) and see what it shows.

What city are you in btw?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Very nice!

I want an Anthem too, but I'm too cheap to pay so much for an AVR lol.
I don't know much about how it works, so additional questions you need to wait for sigpig or post on the Anthem thread where you can find lots of owners with vast experience.

Few notes:

1) orange = back - should be set as Side Surrounds or Surrouds L/R not as Rear surround. That is the surround channel that has the most output in a 5.1.X/7.1.X mix

2) green = surround - At their current location, set them as Top Middle L/R (5.1.4 config). Or move them behind the couch and assign them as rear surround (7.1.2 config)
Look here:
Since your couch is flushed with the back wall, you don't have real clearance to place rear surround further to the back. Many have the same situation so they just use side surrounds.

3) AVR - You mean you can't change sound modes like Denon allows you? Like to Stereo, All Channel Stereo and other simulated modes which are not the source audio configuration? You'll need to ask about that someone who owns an Anthem. But, Atmos is TrueHD. Just with height objects sounds. As long as you play an Atmos soundtrack and have height speakers connected, it is expected for the AVR to use Atmos mode. If you want to test it, play something without Atmos (traditional 5.1 or 7.1) and see what it shows.

What city are you in btw?
If i'll use the orange as surround then I wont be able to use the "back" and wont be able to put in ceiling atmos.
maybe i can bring the green from their place to better place near me? but still on the ceiling?
I live in Mazkeret Batya :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If i'll use the orange as surround then I wont be able to use the "back" and wont be able to put in ceiling atmos.
maybe i can bring the green from their place to better place near me? but still on the ceiling?
I live in Mazkeret Batya :)
Why not? Surely the Anthem has designated terminals for each channel function, with only height speakers assignable.
5.1 channels contain maybe 85% of the sound: Front L/R, Center, Subwoofer, Side Surrounds (or just surrounds). All the additional channels have much less output in the mix or non at all (in 5.1): Rear surround and Atmos.

You'd want the JBLs orange to be your main surround speakers. They are rear mounted but placed on the shelves you added and point to the couch just like typical side speakers.

The Green you can place as rear, but because you don't have a space behind the couch they can be less effective. What you could try is hang the greens behind the couch, but closer to it than the JBLs, and tilt them down a bit (see the Crutchfield diagram). That might work. Otherwise keep them where they are now and assign them as Top Middle for Atmos and skip the Rear surround channel.

Another possibility would be to move the couch a bit from the wall, that may make the rear sounds a bit more effective.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Move the greens to the back wall at the ceiling juncture and you will be perfectly set for 5.1.4. You really don't have the room behind your couch for 7 ear-level speakers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Hey, I moved the Sofa forward so now i think that the rear will work as rear and thinking about moving the SVS PE as surround on ceiling and also to take the 2 small white speakers a bit to the middle so the atmos will work better (marked as green in the image i sent before) and then i will need only 2 on ceiling speakers (the purple circle in this image) for full atmos.
what do you think?
if the SVS PE can work as ceiling surround, on which direction should i point them?
@sigpig @AlexLac @Zorba922

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hey, I moved the Sofa forward so now i think that the rear will work as rear and thinking about moving the SVS PE as surround on ceiling and also to take the 2 small white speakers a bit to the middle so the atmos will work better (marked as green in the image i sent before) and then i will need only 2 on ceiling speakers (the purple circle in this image) for full atmos.
what do you think?
if the SVS PE can work as ceiling surround, on which direction should i point them?
@sigpig @AlexLac @Zorba922
Hmm, now the JBLs are a bit more rear positioned than side, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's very hard to get a perfectly spec'd positioning.
If you are dead set on having rear surrounds you could try:
1) Getting floor stands to place rear surrounds behind the couch. You'll need to find a stands that are high enough.
2) A friend of mine placed his rear surrounds on the floor behind the couch, facing up. He was quite happy with that. Not sure pros will sign off on that option, but it's easy and cheap to try.
3) Hang them a bit above the JBLs or closer to the ceiling and play around with the angles. Requires more drilling...

All this needs a lot of experimenting.. and maybe redoing basic room calibration again for the tests.

I don't have Atmos so can't give you much advice. Did you try the 5.1.4 configuration you have before the couch move?

I suggest you download some Dolby TrueHD 7.1 ATMOS demo tracks and play them in your various configuration options:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Hmm, now the JBLs are a bit more rear positioned than side, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's very hard to get a perfectly spec'd positioning.
If you are dead set on having rear surrounds you could try:
1) Getting floor stands to place rear surrounds behind the couch. You'll need to find a stands that are high enough.
2) A friend of mine placed his rear surrounds on the floor behind the couch, facing up. He was quite happy with that. Not sure pros will sign off on that option, but it's easy and cheap to try.
3) Hang them a bit above the JBLs or closer to the ceiling and play around with the angles. Requires more drilling...

All this needs a lot of experimenting.. and maybe redoing basic room calibration again for the tests.

I don't have Atmos so can't give you much advice. Did you try the 5.1.4 configuration you have before the couch move?

I suggest you download some Dolby TrueHD 7.1 ATMOS demo tracks and play them in your various configuration options:
thanks for the tips.
becuase we are not sitting on the sofa but more relaxing on it the rear speakers sounds just right.
now i want to connect the svs PE as surround but want to know where.
i know that it should be not in the place where the 2 white speakers are but maybe 1 more meter to the back so it will be closer to me and i dont know on which direction i should hang them.

later on, after finishing with the 7.1 i will start playing with the atmos.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
thanks for the tips.
becuase we are not sitting on the sofa but more relaxing on it the rear speakers sounds just right.
now i want to connect the svs PE as surround but want to know where.
i know that it should be not in the place where the 2 white speakers are but maybe 1 more meter to the back so it will be closer to me and i dont know on which direction i should hang them.

later on, after finishing with the 7.1 i will start playing with the atmos.
The PE have fit more for Atmos imo because of the design. That's why they probably cost more than standard surround speakers too. I'd leave them where they are.
I'd move the couch back to the wall and get an impression of how it sounds with the PE as Front Heights and white speakers as Middle Heights i.e 5.1.4. Try the clips I linked you to to listen to it. They are specifically for Atmos. The way the white ones are angled now may be fine. You can play with the angles and experiment.
You seem set on having rear surrounds, but you don't have a back wall cause there is a window there. I suggested 3 options to try rear surrounds. I'd try them with the small white speakers. I think they would work best with stands behind the couch. If you have something you can place them on to try them on out, do that. If you like it that way, look for stands.
There are some threads here for Atmos, you may get more suggestions posting on them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
The PE have fit more for Atmos imo because of the design. That's why they probably cost more than standard surround speakers too. I'd leave them where they are.
I'd move the couch back to the wall and get an impression of how it sounds with the PE as Front Heights and white speakers as Middle Heights i.e 5.1.4. Try the clips I linked you to to listen to it. They are specifically for Atmos. The way the white ones are angled now may be fine. You can play with the angles and experiment.
You seem set on having rear surrounds, but you don't have a back wall cause there is a window there. I suggested 3 options to try rear surrounds. I'd try them with the small white speakers. I think they would work best with stands behind the couch. If you have something you can place them on to try them on out, do that. If you like it that way, look for stands.
There are some threads here for Atmos, you may get more suggestions posting on them.
Alex, trust me, I tried everything :)
When used the svs Pe as surround it sound amazing, that's why I want to use them again but now as hanged and will be glad know how should I hang them.

Thanks mate!
Btw, where are you from?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Alex, trust me, I tried everything :)
When used the svs Pe as surround it sound amazing, that's why I want to use them again but now as hanged and will be glad know how should I hang them.

Thanks mate!
Btw, where are you from?
Did you use them as single surrounds before? That is, what the JBLs are doing now? How do the JBLs sound compared to them?
I'm from Tel Aviv.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Did you use them as single surrounds before? That is, what the JBLs are doing now? How do the JBLs sound compared to them?
I'm from Tel Aviv.
yes, I tried them as surround they were much better than the JBL, really wow!
thats why I want to put them back there and the JBL are also great and i think that using them as rear is good, tried 10+ movies and they are delivering.

but becuase the svs got special look i dont know to where should i direct them.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
yes, I tried them as surround they were much better than the JBL, really wow!
thats why I want to put them back there and the JBL are also great and i think that using them as rear is good, tried 10+ movies and they are delivering.

but becuase the svs got special look i dont know to where should i direct them.
pages 5-6 has various placement suggestions.
Check this video too:

101 - 120 of 156 Posts