AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My antenna is in our garage attic. Because there isn't any power up there, I ended up locating the amp around 20' away from the antenna (in a location that did have power). Unfortunately I'm having problems getting a 100 percent lock on a digital station about 40 miles away and was wondering if it would be worth the effort to mount the amp right on the antenna?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Most TV pre-amps have an amplifier section and a power insertor section. It's almost always best to amplify right after your antenna, and with the split arraingement, you can put the power insertor where it is convienent to do so. I'd try this first. Try this site for a pre-amp if you can't find one locally. http://www.starkelectronic.com/

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Many of the preamps that are intended to be used near to the antenna use a power supply that sends DC up the coax to the preamp. Hence, you don't have to have the power supply near the antenna/preamp.

I am using a Channel Master unit with good success. The Radio Shack ones are apparently noisier.

You might try this solution.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If your amplifier requires AC power at the amplifier, it's not an "antenna" amplifier (preamplifier) at all, it's a distribution or so-called "booster" amplifier. It won't have the low noise figure of a good preamp and isn't designed to work with the relatively low level signals provided by an otherwise unassisted antenna. Regardless of whether the antenna is in the attic or, as someone has suggested, moved to the roof--if amplification seems necessary, replace the existing amplifier with a preamp at the antenna terminals that is powered via signal coax from a power supply located at the TV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With a pre-amp, is are the RadioShack ones any good or should I get a Wineguard or ChannelMaster one? Also, if the antenna splits and also goes to a Hauppauge card on my PC, isn't there something I need to do to keep the voltage from the pre-amp away from the card?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Al
With a pre-amp, is are the RadioShack ones any good or should I get a Wineguard or ChannelMaster one?
The general consensus is that Rat Shack amps are much noisier than the others you mentioned. However, I bought one from RS as an experiment to see if I could improve the stability on my attic-mounted antenna and it worked so well I didn't even have to take it back. :)

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
So I assume that the pre-amps are nice and weather proof and all? I'm currently using an AC powered one, which I thought was the right thing to do, though I was told that having it near the antenna was better.

The guy who I helped set up his HD system last week works on satellite antennas and he made the obvious (in retrospect) observation that if you put the antenna at the other end, its amplifying the degraded signal after passing through the cable. I was pretty amazed at the amounts of degredation that can come from antenna cables at some frequences (I assume because the signals are already very weak when they hit the antenna), but he said at FM frequencies it probably wasn't all that bad.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Al
With a pre-amp, is are the RadioShack ones any good or should I get a Wineguard or ChannelMaster one? Also, if the antenna splits and also goes to a Hauppauge card on my PC, isn't there something I need to do to keep the voltage from the pre-amp away from the card?
Some (Radio Shack preamps) work well enough for some people and if that's all that you have readily available, it's worth a shot. However, they do have a reputation for instability and otherwise not living up to spec. You can get Winegard and Channelmaster products online at Stark Electronics. I personally like the Winegard AP-4700 for its relatively low price, moderate gain, and very high input capacity (low susceptibility to overload). If you perform the split after the power inserter, there will be no voltage appearing at the PC card input terminal.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Where on the Stark web site are these at? I didn't see anything like antennas or antenna amps and such right off hand.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.