Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself with a spare Radeon 8500.

Should I replace the AOpen GeForce2MX in my HTPC with the Radeon 8500? I've heard the 8500 has better color rendition.

There is no cost involved, other than the hassle of potentially realigning my Sony D50 CRT projector if the 8500 has different scan parameters for the same resolution (852x540x72).

Input?

thanks,

KC

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
my improvemnt going from a GeForce2MX to Radeon 7500 was pretty substantial. I would do it (or sell me your spare for 20 bucks!) :) Drew

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Just be sure to run with the later drivers, the original drivers for the 8500 had broken gama.

·
Registered
936 Posts
How funny? I'm going to be doing the exact same thing! I'm holding my breath as to whether or not all my installed video codecs etc will continue to work properly after uninstalling the Nvidia driver and installing the latest ATI Catalyst driver. If I have probs, I'm prepared to do a fresh re-install... which is also why I've delayed actually doing it!

Please report back here (to this same thread) what probs, if any, your system has afterwards. Thanks!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Why not get a 9500? They just came out and are selling for under $200. The DX9 spec compatibility should make them much better for DVD viewing, once players come out that can take advantage of the bigger color space.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.