AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bedroom setup is 5 B&W CCM817 Ceiling speakers paired with an M&K MX-350THX sub. I have been debating upgrading the sub, but I am not really sure what would be a good fit. The 817s have response down to about 70hz then start to fall off, so a good subwoofer is needed. The M&K does a good job (it is about 8 years old).

I looked at the web page for the B&W DB1, but at MSRP of $4500 it is a bit pricey, and given the lack of any mention in the subwoofer forums here it is unknown. There were some mentions of it in the B&W thread, just really announcements of its arrival last year but I could not find any reviews.

$4500-$5k is the upper limit of what I would want to spend. I would be much happier in the 2-3k range. The room is 15'x20'.

Is there a nice sub upgrade in my price range, or should I just stick with the M&K? It is for a home theater system 50% movies 50% TV.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Wish I could spend 5 grand on a sub for my bedroom.

15x20 is not that big a room unless you have very high ceilings or big openings to other rooms. Take a look at what Hsu has to offer and match something to your room size.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ceiling is 9'6". I think the main problem is that the bed tends to absorb a lot of the sub woofer energy.

I was thinking more along the lines of a JL Fathom 113, would it be noticeably better than them M&K?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
What's your goal for this sub? Listening to music? Light movie watching, since it's your bedroom and not a theater room? That's a ton of money to spend on a sub for the bedroom with ceiling speakers. For $1000-1500 you could get something very very nice.

Look at the SVS PB13-Ultra (about $1600), HSU ULS-15 ($1200-1300), Epik Empire ($800 I think), Rhythmik D15SE ($1000). Those would all be great for movies and music. Those will get you f113 performace (SVS PB13 Ultra) or decently close, for much less $. But you can go with less sub, less $ because those are overkill for a bedroom system unless that's your main watching/listening area in the house.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri /forum/post/18173275

What's your goal for this sub? Listening to music? Light movie watching, since it's your bedroom and not a theater room? That's a ton of money to spend on a sub for the bedroom with ceiling speakers. For $1000-1500 you could get something very very nice.

Look at the SVS PB13-Ultra (about $1600), HSU ULS-15 ($1200-1300), Epik Empire ($800 I think), Rhythmik D15SE ($1000). Those would all be great for movies and music. Those will get you f113 performace (SVS PB13 Ultra) or decently close, for much less $. But you can go with less sub, less $ because those are overkill for a bedroom system unless that's your main watching/listening area in the house.

It is the main Movie watching room of the house actually. Music listening is a different system. The ceiling speakers were selected because between the dresser and the projection screen there is not enough wall space for free standing speakers.

I originally considered free standing speakers, but went with a bigger screen instead. The M&K I have does a decent job, but with movies you always want more

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have been making a list of the suggestions in this thread. I will probably have to plan a trip to Dallas to listen to them all since I am in a small town with limited selection (i.e. Best Buy is about it).

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike123abc /forum/post/18173891

It is the main Movie watching room of the house actually. Music listening is a different system. The ceiling speakers were selected because between the dresser and the projection screen there is not enough wall space for free standing speakers.

I originally considered free standing speakers, but went with a bigger screen instead. The M&K I have does a decent job, but with movies you always want more

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have been making a list of the suggestions in this thread. I will probably have to plan a trip to Dallas to listen to them all since I am in a small town with limited selection (i.e. Best Buy is about it).

Apparently you didn't realize that most, if not all, of the subwoofers that were recommended are sold only Internet Direct. That means you are not going to find them in stores in Dallas, or anywhere else.

JL Audio F113 is a very good subwoofer, but it falls short in the deepest bass, compared to much less expensive internet direct offerings.

You need to determine how large of an enclosure you can handle and whether dual subs is a possibility.

The SVS PB-13 Ultra is hard to beat at its price point.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18173995

Apparently you didn't realize that most, if not all, of the subwoofers that were recommended are sold only Internet Direct. That means you are not going to find them in stores in Dallas, or anywhere else.

JL Audio F113 is a very good subwoofer, but it falls short in the deepest bass, compared to much less expensive internet direct offerings.

You need to determine how large of an enclosure you can handle and whether dual subs is a possibility.

The SVS PB-13 Ultra is hard to beat at its price point.

I see there is quite a following of the SVS line of subs here. But, of course when researching I see the thread on the new line for 2010. The SB16-Ultra looks like it could be a winner, but of course it will be 6 months until release.

The disadvantage of course is that they cannot be auditioned in advance, have to rely on all the internet review.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts