AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying I am no speaker designer, I leave that up to people that are way smarter than me. I use my system for 95% HT so the sub is very important to the overall sound.

I purchased my first subwoofer a few years ago, an SVS 16-46 PC+. This had a TC sounds 12 driver in a 46 tall sono tube design with 3 (I think 3) ports. I chose this sub because it could reach down to 16hz with decent output. It sounded great, I loved the feeling of that ultra low bass thumping your chest. When I would push it hard though, it would occasionally bottom out, so I wanted something with a little more muscle. I started down the path of a DIY Sono sub. I built this sub using a Blueprint 1503 driver. The tube is 18 in diameter and 55 tall with one massive 6 port tuned to 20hz. I drive this with a Crown CE2000 (1950 watts output @ 4 ohms in mono) and use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to flatten out the response. Power and output are not a problem as I can rattle the neighbor's windows when this beast brings it. Well I'm still not satisfied, I want it all, I want a sub with high output, clean and DEEP bass.

I would like to just replace the Blueprint in a direct swap but I'm not sure if a new driver would work in my sono setup because of the size of the sub. My tube was designed (not by me) specifically for this blueprint driver. Here are the spec's for the Blueprint driver from a DUMAX report :

Qts 0.376

Qes 0.411

Qms 4.458

Vas 92 liters

Fs 25.52 Hz

Re 3.93

Sd 737 cm^2

Xmax 25.9 mm

BL 22.35

SPL 87.74 dB

Pe 1000 Watts

The SVS had a flat response curve from 16-20 Hz but just couldn't match the Blueprints output. The Blueprint driver had a slight dip in it's response curve between 17-18 Hz that I can not correct with the BFD EQ. I rarely listen to movies at earth shaking levels anymore so output is not as important as flat response down to 16 Hz or lower.

Is there a driver out there I can directly swap for my Blue Print that will gain me anything or do I need to build an upgraded sub?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There are a few TC Sounds TC-2000's for sale on the net. Do you think this upgrade would be worth the money?

The TC-2000 has an Fs of 18hz compared to the 25.5hz of the Blue Print.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO /forum/post/14308644

Is there a driver out there I can directly swap for my Blue Print that will gain me anything or do I need to build an upgraded sub?

Not a lot of drivers can be swapped into that 8ft^3 enclosure and net you substantial gains. Downlow is out of the question because that enclosure is tuned to 20hz, which is why you're not getting the output in the teens like you're looking for.

*edit* let me rephrase that. I can't think of any drivers you could swap in that will deliver enough output above tuning to make it worth while. Below tuning you're still stuck.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
You would have to retune,and go with a ~15Hz tune. For a 6 inch port this = much longer port than you have installed now.

From ~26mm Xmax to 30 there is not much of a gain in displacement. To start to have a more seriious gain(mostly in output) say a 18" with 33mm Xmax would be a good start with an 8" port and a low tune ~14Hz or so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts