AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is related to my previous thread "Question for Marantz 12S1 owners".

I've done a bunch of testing and it turns out my 12S1 will consistently show a 1" vertical line through the projected image while the projector is warming up. My 12S1 is about 12' from the wall and is projecting about a 100" diagonal picture. This 1' line is about a foot inside the image heads straigt down. The line appears to be cuased by the lack of color in that particular area so it is always white.

The dreaded line will only show up when the projector has been off for a while. And after the projector has been on for a few minutes (maybe 5) the line will go away. If you read my first post regarding the line it doesn't seem to be cuased by lack of an active source sending data to the PJ.

So what do you think? Should I return it?

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
This is starting to sound like a CRT projector in that it needs to warm up upon initial power-on. How long does it take for this line to go away?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and it's a little hard to tell becuase the PJ has to be off for so long to recreate the problem.

I should also mention that my unit displays none of the other problems that have been reported about the 12S1.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
If you have a US warranty then send it in or return it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbw23air
If you have a US warranty then send it in or return it.

Mike
If you have a 3 year US warranty why not just live with the glitch, it does not affect the image from your description. If it turns out to be something that gets more serious in time you can still get it fixed.

Every time you ship something delicate like a projector you take the chance of doing damage. If you try to get it fixed it's two more round trips to Japan via DHL. I wouldn't do that with my projector unless it was something major.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Something is not right. The bulb is the only thing that needs to warm up. The color wheel needs to rev up to running speed but there is nothing that should cause a 1" vert. white stripe except for the chip or some electronic motherboard issues. I doubt it will get better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've decided to return it. The place where I ordered it from agreed to replace the unit with a new one if it did not work correctly upon arrival. It showed up with the stripe (i've never liked stripes anyway) and I notified them immediatly. They agreed to take it back if I wasn't satisfied and ship me a new one immediatly.

The main reason I chose this vendor was becuase of how responsive they were to email and when I called they picked up the phone. In addition, a big selling point was that their office is about 35 miles from my house. I'm going to drop it back off at their place Friday. I wonder how shipping will cost? They said they would replace the unit, but they didn't say I would have to pay shipping. I'll be blown away if they don't charge me for it.

Wish me luck and Bonsai!!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
You have hit the jackpot. This is a level of service that none of us with Japanese sourced Marantz pjs have ever seen. Probably better than many authorized dealers too.

Care to tell us who your dealer is and where they are located?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but I bought it from RK Media Inc. They aren't as cheap as Price Japan, but they are in the US and they pack the item very carefully for no extra charge (double boxed).

I'm taking the PJ back to them today and I'll let you know if I have to pay for shipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.