AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have about 2 weeks to return my receiver. I haven't used it much. Even though I got a good price on it from 6th ave not sure if it will be worth it to keep something that cost close to $800 for how much I use it. I have a 5.0 setup will be getting a sub in the next month.

I really didn't like hooking up everything to the AVR HDMI. I rather just use the TV since I can change on the fly faster.

I would like to do a 7.1 but with only the few movies that have 7.1 sound I'd rather save that money on something else.

So looking for a good 5.1 / 7.1 AVR (7.1 future upgrade if I decide to get 2 more speakers when more material starts to come out in 7.1)

Will be using PS3 for now since that will do fine for 5.1. If I do go 7.1 in the next year I will buy a standalone player then. (would prob have to anyways since I game and dont want the PS3 hooked right up to the AVR for any lag anyways)

The speakers on my A750 Samsung are pretty good for most of my watching .

I do have a Sony STR-DE885 not sure if that will be fine for most Blu-Rays for 5.1 since I will have to use Optical instead of HDMI.

Would I gain anything by going with a lesser HDMI model then the Denon 2809 over the old Sony using Optical.

Not sure if it be best to just return the 2809 and use the Sony. Then just upgrade in a year when there will be more movies out for 7.1 or just get something around $400-$500 now and be ready.

Hopefully I was pretty clear. Thanks

Not sure if it helps but I have Infinity speakers 4 p362, 1 pc350

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
6ave has a special now on the denon 1909 for $486 delivered....that amp is very similar to the 2809, so you would save $300.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If you don't use your receiver, just return it and use your TV speakers.

Or, you could use your receiver for watching TV too, or playing video games or whatever ( assuming that's the reason for under use.)

Seems like you have an clear cut case of buyer's remorse and an unclear understanding of your goals. Maybe you need to write down on a piece of paper exactly what you want and then go from there.

Note that running through your TV could result in limitations, such as being restricted to two channel sound only. People have tried running HDMI into their Tivo with optical out, and found out the hard way that does not work.

I use HDMI for all my video sources (Tivo, XBox 360 and PS3,) and it's the simplest setup I have ever run.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCarpenter84 /forum/post/15445565

Well I have about 2 weeks to return my receiver. I haven't used it much. Even though I got a good price on it from 6th ave not sure if it will be worth it to keep something that cost close to $800 for how much I use it. I have a 5.0 setup will be getting a sub in the next month.

I really didn't like hooking up everything to the AVR HDMI. I rather just use the TV since I can change on the fly faster.

I would like to do a 7.1 but with only the few movies that have 7.1 sound I'd rather save that money on something else.

So looking for a good 5.1 / 7.1 AVR (7.1 future upgrade if I decide to get 2 more speakers when more material starts to come out in 7.1)

Will be using PS3 for now since that will do fine for 5.1. If I do go 7.1 in the next year I will buy a standalone player then. (would prob have to anyways since I game and dont want the PS3 hooked right up to the AVR for any lag anyways)

The speakers on my A750 Samsung are pretty good for most of my watching .

I do have a Sony STR-DE885 not sure if that will be fine for most Blu-Rays for 5.1 since I will have to use Optical instead of HDMI.

Would I gain anything by going with a lesser HDMI model then the Denon 2809 over the old Sony using Optical.

Not sure if it be best to just return the 2809 and use the Sony. Then just upgrade in a year when there will be more movies out for 7.1 or just get something around $400-$500 now and be ready.

Hopefully I was pretty clear. Thanks

Not sure if it helps but I have Infinity speakers 4 p362, 1 pc350

ChiCarpenter88,

What did you decide to do? I am the person who sent a PM to see if you had an interest in seeing if a swap with my new (purch 12/28) Denon1909 had any interest to you. We could see if there is an amount I could pay you that may work out well fore both of us. I got all excited with the 1909 and did not come to learn that the speakers I want to get to fill my large 31' x 23' room could benefit from more umpfh.

Cheers,

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.