AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the 52W4100 and the have the LN52A650 and I have some serious issues with them.

1.Turning on the 120hz Motion flow at all on either of these sets creates the much talked about "soap opera effect". As far as I am concerned, this effect rips the intended experience away from the film.

2. The ghosting and lag on these sets makes me sea sick. I do not understand how all of these videophiles on the next board find this in any way acceptable.

3. Forget what the egg heads try to cram down your throat. If you sit 8-10 feet away from your set and watch content other than blue rays, DO NOT GO WITH A 52" set. My percieved video quality on 1080i directv content went right down the crapper. Every imperfection is largely magnified. My 42" seemed a hair small and as a guy, a 52" seemed like bliss, but the definition on anything other than BR disks seems really bad.

4. The reason I went LCD was becasue I did not like the dim look of the plasmas. What I did not realize is that after you calibrate these LCD sets, they end up MUCH more dim and washed out than when in the show room where they had everything jacked.

Now I still am concerned with the dimness of plasma, does this bother anyone after a bit of time or does it always seem dim? My Panny 42PX50U was a bit dim but the picture was awesome and did a way better job on SD content. Also, and the biggest thing, at 50" on the 700U will I see the motion blur inherent with LCD go away completely. Will I get the natural movent that I so want to see and seemd to have with my old panny plasma.

IMO LCD blows chunks. Please give me a reason to jump ship.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Go for the plasma!

I make the same mistake as you, I buy a LCD and sold it six months later for the same reasons you mention...

Eric

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly /forum/post/15449962

...Also, and the biggest thing, at 50" on the 700U will I see the motion blur inherent with LCD go away completely. Will I get the natural movent that I so want to see and seemd to have with my old panny plasma.

Maybe not go away completely, but almost...

Eric

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just out of curiosity... why the 700u? This year's panasonics are very nicer with considerably better black levels.

BTW... I jumped off the LCD ship as well. I had a v3000 that I sold to get a 50pz80u. Much happier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts