AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Panasonic DMP-BD30 blu-ray player, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, and I bought the Sony DVP-NS77H a few days ago. I was looking at the Oppo DV-980H over at amazon.com and for about $30 cheaper I can get the A3, but for $1 more than the Oppo DV-980H I can get the A30. Right now I am leaning towards the A35 over the A3 and A30, because I heard that it has better DVD upscaling, and I can bitstream the new audio formats. I have a few questions on the A35 and the A30 before I make my decision.

1. Is the A35 worth the extra money over the A30?

2. Does the A30 and A35 have the same dvd upscaling chip and same pq?

3. If HD-DVD becomes dead in a few months (no offence for HD-DVD owners) will the A30 and A35 have good resale value as dvd upconverting players?

4. I will use either unit as a dvd upcoverter. Do you think it would be a waste of money to use the A30 or A35 just to watch dvd movies?

5. I read reviews for the A30 and A35, the reviews commented that the dvd deinterlacing and scaling was ver poor. Is it true about the dvd deinterlacing and scaling?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
The A30 and A35 offer equal upscaling ability. The A35 shines over the A30 with its audio support for both bitstreaming high res audio to a capable HDMI 1.3 receiver and analog audio outs.

The Anchor Bay chip in the A30/A35 might surprise you with its ability to upconvert. Most say the Oppo is a superior scaler to the A2/A3.

I never heard any bad things about the A30/A35 scaling only the deinterlacing.

The Oppo also plays SACD/DVD-A.

I think it would be a waste to not try some HD DVD's in your HD DVD player. At least rent one or two.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Either way, dump that Sony POS.

If you want to dabble in HD-DVD at this point look at the Toshibas.

I can't comment on their processing as I have a VP.

If you're never going to play HDDVD wait for the new Oppo.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Definitely dump the Sony in favor of a Toshiba HD DVD player. You get great upscaling and you add HD DVD capability. What's not to love?

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 /forum/post/12870894

Either way, dump that Sony POS.

If you want to dabble in HD-DVD at this point look at the Toshibas.

I can't comment on their processing as I have a VP.

If you're never going to play HDDVD wait for the new Oppo.

I say return the Sony and avoid the mistake of getting a Toshiba POS. Save your money and get a BD player.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalrep /forum/post/12870981

I say return the Sony and avoid the mistake of getting a Toshiba POS. Save your money and get a BD player.

How is buying an overpriced BD player saving money?!

Go back to your fanboi forum.

·
Registered
847 Posts

Quote:

Uh, I think the OP already has a Blu-ray player.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek /forum/post/12871074

How is buying an overpriced BD player saving money?!

Go back to your fanboi forum.

At least he can watch HDM on it a year from now. I wuld call that an investment.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalrep /forum/post/12871161

At least he can watch HDM on it a year from now. I wuld call that an investment.

My HD-DVD player is going to stop working in a year? How did they code that feature?

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:

Don't feed the BD fanboy guys.

Obviously he did not read the OP's post that he already had a BD player.

And OP is talking exclusively about the value of an upconverting player vs HD DVD player.

And not HD DVD player vs BD player.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:

And by that time people will have bought two revisions to finally be able to do the things we could do on HD-DVD the moment is launched.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes!

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I had the Sony Upconverting player you have and wasn't impressed. Kept it 3 months before selling it to a sucker...uh friend for $50. My HD-D2 does a much nicer job.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

Quote:

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, we have this years Douchebag of the Year award winner, and it's only January.

What are the FIRST WORDS of his post?

Criminey...

MEC2

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

Quote:

Funny your tag line is "money > patience" - tell me how much money will you have after buying a BR again?

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage /forum/post/12869344

I currently have the Panasonic DMP-BD30 blu-ray player, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, and I bought the Sony DVP-NS77H a few days ago. I was looking at the Oppo DV-980H over at amazon.com and for about $30 cheaper I can get the A3, but for $1 more than the Oppo DV-980H I can get the A30. Right now I am leaning towards the A35 over the A3 and A30, because I heard that it has better DVD upscaling, and I can bitstream the new audio formats. I have a few questions on the A35 and the A30 before I make my decision.

1. Is the A35 worth the extra money over the A30?

2. Does the A30 and A35 have the same dvd upscaling chip and same pq?

3. If HD-DVD becomes dead in a few months (no offence for HD-DVD owners) will the A30 and A35 have good resale value as dvd upconverting players?

4. I will use either unit as a dvd upcoverter. Do you think it would be a waste of money to use the A30 or A35 just to watch dvd movies?

5. I read reviews for the A30 and A35, the reviews commented that the dvd deinterlacing and scaling was ver poor. Is it true about the dvd deinterlacing and scaling?

You shouldn't have much invested in the Sony upconverter. (Doesn't your Blu player upconvert?)

From what I've heard the oppo is a better upconverter , but I also heard the A30-35 are outstanding value as well (Xa2 and the Onkyo HD are supposed to be among the best).

For my set up the audio ability of the a35 would be worth the extra cost, only about $40 more that the best oppo. If you just want good value and a chance to check out HD I'd recommend the a30 because of the price and the picture quality upconverting. If it just for a lark I wouldn't spend the extra dough on the a35 or the Oppo Faroudja HD upconverter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts