AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing out my dedicated HT and I'm running all the cables I need for my projector to a spot in the center of my ceiling were the projector will mount. My current projector only has component and VGA inputs and I'm running those cables. But it's very likely that I'll eventually upgrade to a projector that supports HDMI and I don't want to tear up my ceiling, so I'm looking to go ahead and run an HDMI cable. I don't really want to fool with trying to terminate my own HDMI cables, so I was just going to buy a premade 25ft cable. But I noticed they can come with different connectors, and not having the equipment yet, I don't know what connectors I will need. Can anyone tell me what type of connectors I will need on the HDMI cable to connect from common HDMI video sources to a projector?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well interesting question.

First of all you state that HDMI comes with different connectors, that is not my experience, I think HDMI comes with only one type of connector.

Now it makes sense to be prepared for the future as far as cabling is concerned. HDMI is definitly the future. Currently a DVI cable will send the same video signal to your projector than HDMI. Apart from the connector HDMI is different from DVI in that HDMI allows the addition of sound which is not necessary for a projector connection. So in principle you could run a DVI to HDMI cable as well, but since DVI to HDMI connectors are readily available I would opt for a durable and reliable HDMI cable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks htpcfan. It looks like you are correct and I was getting confused by DVI-to-HDMI cables. So you suggest I get a Male to Male HDMI cable and use HDMI to DVI connectors if needed on the ends? Any suggestion for a "good and reliable" 25ft cable that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
633 Posts
pre-drywall i ran 2x 1.5" carlon plastic conduit and no cable at all. nothing but conduit is futureproof.

$0.02,

dookie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.