AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a refurb Onkyo TX-SR805. It's sweet and allows me to switch between my PS3 and cable (my HDTV is old and has just one HDMI input. I'll be upgrading soon
Anyway, I've been reading on here and other forums about the PS3 now decoding TrueHD and DTS-HD. I thought that was great until I heard that my receiver is suppose to do the decoding itself. Since the PS3 does this I won't get that sound replicated from my speakers, correct?

So what should I do? First off, do all Blu ray discs have TrueHD and DTS-HD audio tracks? Or is this just available on the latest discs coming out? The bigger question is should I sell the TX-SR085 and get another receiver that will put out TrueHD and the other audio formats from the PS3?

I just bought this a week ago and I can sell it for what I paid. If I should sell what brand/model should I look into? I didn't pay the $1000 sticker price since it was a refurb. So I can afford $600 max. I have only five speakers (a center and two front Polk speakers and two old Infinity's for the back surround & a Velodyne sub). I want a good receiver with multiple HDMI inputs so I can switch between my PS3 and cable & one that will be useful when I upgrade to a 42" 1080p Panasonic plasma within the year.

Sorry for the back story. Just wanted to give as much detail as possible so somoene can help me make a decision. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Erik

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 805 can handle truehd and dts-ma. The ps3 is just doing the decoding and outputting it to the 805. This is not an issue with the receiver, it's just how the ps3 handles those formats.

You're 805 should do everything you want and be a great receiver, especially at that price.

·
Registered
654 Posts
No, unless you just want a different receiver.

The PS3 only outputs HD audio formats as PCM. The 805 has no problem playing DTS HD and True HD soundtracks(bitstream and PCM).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I just need to get a Blu ray disc that has those audio formats and it say so on the display? Should the PS3 be set to PCM or Bitstream audio? Or will it just play those formats and not show it on the display? I can deal with it not saying TrueHD or DTS-HD as long as I know it's playing it that way.

Also, what is Pure Audio? Would that play those formats? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff1211 /forum/post/14177618

So I just need to get a Blu ray disc that has those audio formats and it say so on the display? Should the PS3 be set to PCM or Bitstream audio? Or will it just play those formats and not show it on the display? I can deal with it not saying TrueHD or DTS-HD as long as I know it's playing it that way.

Yeah just look on the back of the bluray disc to see if the audio is available in those formats. It won't say on the receiver that it's playing those but hit select on your ps3 controller or display on the ps3 remote and it will say true hd or dtsma

·
Registered
654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff1211 /forum/post/14177618

Set the PS3 to "linear PCM". Press the "surround" button on the 805 remote so the 805 display says "multichannel". Press "select" on the PS3 controller to see what audio format is playing on the bluray disc(DTS-MA, Dolby True HD, PCM, etc.).

The receiver will never display the DTS HD or True HD lights when the PS3 is the source. Only sources that can bitstream the hd formats will allow this. It works either way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info from all of you. That makes me feel much better about my purchase. Now I just need to buy a Blu ray disc that has those audio formats to hear the difference : ) Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts