AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there i had a panasonic dmr100h 80 gig dvd recorder bought for me for christmas should i sell it and get a pioneer 5100h instead every body tells me its alot better machine i think it is the 510 in the states or should i keep

it thanks peter oo i am so confushed

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Does "everybody" include this forum? Folks here seem to lean towards the Pannys. Far be it from me to try to validate my own choices by suggesting someone buy one, but all I can tell you is that I've never burned a coaster with my E30, even on 50-cent Ritek blanks. There's a lot of fanatics over at "thewholewideweb.com" that are convinced that Panny is the holy grail.

I think I would have to have a concrete deal-killer feature to suggest Pioneer over Panny (it seems that if you stick to either of those or Sony you can't really go wrong) for instance, the fact that certain Pio models support STB IR blasters might be a solid reason.

The problem with anecdotal info from the forum is that since DVDR's are pricey and rather new its unlikely to find answers from folks who've owned more than one brand, meaning there are really no good comparos out there. Sound & Vision (October) did a shootout, but that might be hard to come by now.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
The E100H and the DVR-510H are very comparable. The E100H has a larger hard drive, MPEG4 support, SD and PC card support. The Pioneer doesn't support MPEG4, SD or PC card. The Pioneer has DV "OUTPUT" support, DVD back-up, DVD dubbing, and records an anamorphic 16:9 with the correct flagging to a DVD-R if the original is flagged(judging by how the manual reads), where the E100 doesn't have any of those features. The Pioneer has "auto start" which turns the recorder on by signal sensing and starts recording when a Digital cable set top box or satellite receiver turns on for a timer recording using the DBS/cable box's "own" timer. Of course, when the DBS set top box turns off, the signal is gone and the Pioneer senses that and stops recording and turns itself off. I found this feature much more reliable and useful than any IR blaster(I've used quite a few.;) ). BTW, the 510H is also cheaper by a few hundred bucks.;)

Performance wise, let's say equal. I did find my old E80H to add digital artifacts where I see none in the DVR-510(both in SP and Fine/XP modes). The E80H could had been defective but I doubt it, I think the TBC circuit or ADCs were adding the artifacts as they were there on pass-through while not even recording.

But for the sake of conversation, let's say both have equal performance. Being the different features one has over the other will be user preference and opinion. I prefer the DVR-510's features.

The real deciding factor is what rewritable format do you want: DVD-RAM or DVD-RW. Panasonic only burns to the DVD-RAM and not DVD-RW, while the Pioneer only burns to DVD-RW and not DVD-RAM. Personally, I don't want DVD-RAM because it's an incompatible format that won't play on standard DVD Players "UNLESS" they are Panasonic's upper models. DVD-RW plays on many players. In fact my OLD Panasonic DVD-CV52 that states it can't play DVD-RW, plays them great with no problem. It's played DVD-RWs made on a DVR-310H and a DVR-510H. Also DVD-RW is a well established PC format that's compatible with most PC DVD-Rom drives. Most PC drives are incompatible with DVD-RAM while a select few are compatible.

So for me, the features I want are on the 510H and it's cheaper to boot. Also, the format that's more compatible and looks to be the winner of the rewritable format is DVD-RW, not DVD-RAM IMO. So the DVR-510H is what I consider the better "FOR ME".

Overall, I consider them equals with only personal preference dictating which is better for the user.

If you'll take a loss on the E100H, it may be better to keep even if you like the 510H's features better.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Quote:
and records an anamorphic 16:9 with the correct flagging to a DVD-R if the original is flagged
Not in my experience. I recorded 3 hours of Alias 16:9 from the HD OTA feed. It wouldn't let me transfer to Disc at High Speed because it was 'widescreen and low bitrate'. But when I did finally copy it to disc it was flagged as 4:3. I haven't tried a high speed copy of a higher bitrate version though.

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
mrwilson,

Perhaps this is the cause of your problem. It's on page 63 of the manual:

Quote:
? When Frame Accurate is set to Off (see Frame Accurate on page 97), the following limitations apply when combining titles:

? Mixed aspect ratios (16:9, 4:3, 4:3 (letter box)) can?t be combined.

? Mixed recording modes (EP/MN1?6, LP/MN7?18, SP/MN19?31, FINE/MN32)can?t be combined.
This obviously proves that this recorder can record in 16:9 mode.

Also on page 104:

Quote:
Screen is stretched vertically or horizontally

? Make sure that the TV Screen Size setting (page 97) is correct for the kind of TV you have (see also page 102).

? If you have a widescreen TV, check its aspect ratio settings.

? This recorder?s input switches into wide mode automatically according to the input signal. When the unit connected is not compatible with ID-1, set the connected component to output 4:3 aspect ratio (standard) video.
Last line once again proves that it records with Flag or ID.

Your problem does sound strange as I seen nothing in the manual stating those limitations.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
maybe more accurate would be on page 63 :

• Low resolution

(EP or LP, or MN1-18) widescreenmaterial can’t be copied to a

Video mode disc. Use a VR mode DVD-RW disc for this type of material.

also on page 66 :

– Widescreen material recorded in

LP,EP or MN1–18

will not be added to the Copy List.

So the lowest useable mode is MN19 which will record around 140 min (2 hours 20 minutes)

high-speed copy may be a different matter and might need frame accuracy off (like MikeUp suggested)

erick

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
My DVR-7000 has an Auto 16:9 setting and in almost two years of use it has Never worked right. Every 16:9 recording I've made is flagged 4:3. I finally stopped using auto and just set it to 16:9. Its a shame the 510 doesn't let you do that.

Quote:
• Low resolution

(EP or LP, or MN1-18) widescreenmaterial can’t be copied to a

Video mode disc. Use a VR mode DVD-RW disc for this type of material.
I saw that too. I wonder why, it makes no sense.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It sounds like EP, LP, and MN1-18 are recorded at a lower resolution than the higher quality levels, probably 352x480 and/or 352x240. Assuming that's the case, the restriction on copying widescreen material in those quality levels to a video mode disc would be to comply with the DVD-Video standard. The standard allows widescreen only in the 704x480 and 720x480 resolutions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you shorten segments on the 510H like you can on the E80? Thought I read somewhere that you couldn't edit and cut out commercials on the 510H. Is this true or a bunch of bull manure?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Yes, you can. They changed the editing procedure from the 7k to the 510. Its actually easier to edit now. Although, you do lose the handy 'preview' feature that the 7k had. Its not really needed since you can recombine if you mess up, just can't undelete.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.