AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After way to much trouble to get the set from ShopSunshine, my 65H80 finally arrived Thursday before last. The set still seems gigantic, but we are getting used to it. HDTV is awsome, DVD's are great, OTA digatal stations are really nice, but DirectTV is passible - good.

Now with the recent announcements, I am seriously considering sending the set back, paying the restocking fee, and waiting a year until things are a bit more settled.

What do you think?

·
Registered
147 Posts
The way I see it there is always talk of the standards changing and our equiptment being out of date and useless. Screw it. Enjoy your TV now. Forget about the "what ifs".

·
Registered
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by B Smooth:
The set still seems gigantic, but we are getting used to it.
If by "we" you mean you and your wife, then I suspect you are in for a period of pure hell when your wife finds out you spent all that money and kept it knowing it would soon become obsolete.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Keep it. It isn't going to be obsolete. But get a good 480 scan DVD player, if you don't already have one, because that is the primary application for digital televisions at the moment. The Panasoinic RP-91 seems to be the product of choice - under $500.00, and an unreal piece of technology at that price.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Two issues:

1) Could there be a compatibility problem, if IEEE1394 & DVI come to pass? Yes, quite possibly.

2) When will this happen? No one knows for sure, but since almost no sets with these "features" are even on the market yet, it will certainly be awhile before copy protection effects are felt by those of us with current HDTV equipment.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Just keep it, I was thinking the same thing and then I realized that I will never be able to keep up with technology. If they go to a different standard later on I am sure they will make something to make our TVs compatible.

------------------

Juan Ruiz

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Gentlemen I just got done watching Star Trek-The Motiion Picture from 1979 in regular Vhs. It was almost a digital a picture. I have 250+ discs times at average $25= $6,250 + that's already 2 times the amount, I bought that $2999 HDTV for!

I have a Library of over 700 VHS Vcr Hi-Fi a lot are Dolby Stereo Surround, and now over 350 DVDs a total of over 1,050 movies and concerts. To watch who cares if they change some things.

I haven't had cable or satellite TV in 4 years and I don't miss all the commercials or cutting the film to shreads for the sponsers to get their 'spam' in the time alloted for the movie.

Even if DVDs change until the Vcr can be replaced for the common households as they have been since 1983 when I bought my first vcr.

I/You will have possibly the same amount of time to run out of time.

1983 is now 18 years ago.

That's a lot of movie watching for this mans hobby. Keep the HDTV and enjoy it, I have made possibly the last setting changes for a near digital picture for my Vhs Vcr, 300 DVD changer I.L. and my DVD Progressive scan player.

Only the DVD changer is connected via the component, the Progressive DVD by S-Video, and the Vhs by Compositte video jack. Yet all three can bring in to my just 3 months ago Eye doctor telling me, I had 20/20 vision. An almost digital 'no scanning lines' on the picture even on pause!

I would be really stupid to go back, to sub-standard TV to wait a few more years for everything to be ironed out. Then what will be available, if you want perfection go to the future and join the 'borg', they are looking for perfection.

I am going to enjoy what I have, not wait for every crease to be ironed out. I hope you all will think of what I have truthfully said. Enjoy what you have also, for watching movies is my hobby. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
"I was thinking the same thing and then I realized that I will never be able to keep up with technology."

Of course, this isn't a technology issue - DVI and Firewire have been around for years.

I think I can answer this question based on the answer to two additional ones:

1) Will you be satisfied with your investment if it can be used to view DVDs, 480i programming, and OTA or "network" HDTV? The possibility of your HDTV being useless to view HDTV is largely confined to PPV and/or "premium" channels such as HBO, although Disney and some of the networks are pushing to encrypt OTA as well.

2) Are you willing to help out the cause with your dollars? Every HDTV sold that isn't compatible with copy-protected inputs makes it harder (in the sense that it's politically less palatable) to implement 5C/HDCP.

------------------
ABC = Another Boring Channel. Watch CBS on Monday Nights!

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Although we always live in "danger" of having our equipment outdated, it is different when the "horizon event" is this close in proximity. We are IMHO beyond the "speculation" and rumor stage. We have all read the announcements from DTV, Dish, cable companies etc. This is not heresay, this is REAL. I think dkeller's comments were on the mark. If you would be happy with just watching DVDs on your new equipment and some HD via network OTA (if the worst case scenerio soon unfolds), then keep it. Otherwise send that puppy back as quickly as you can the store to take it back!

I would not expect anybody to play the role of "hero" to simply support our cause. That's exactly why I told a friend who was ready to pull the HD trigger, to wait and see what happens. I personally would feel lousy if he bought a set on my recommendation and then the MPAA Nazis pulled the plug shortly thereafter. With friends like that who need enemies?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.