AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching this forum for several months now and was planning on buying my 42" Panny from PlasmaExtreme next month; my decision being influenced by quite a few positive recommendations I've read on this forum. Unfortunatly, I just came across a rather disturbing thread from 1/21 that was cut off by the moderator (I'm not quite certain why, since it was informative to newbies like me) and it appears as though several serious concerns were being discussed; including the fact that they no longer are a sponsor on here. Should I start shopping around for another vendor?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
IMHO, the refusal by any online vendor to take regular credit cards (NOT through Paypal) means prospective customers should be very cautious.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I highly recommend Visual Apex. I think you'll find they are outstanding in every respect. Robbie

w.visualapex.com

mod- no retail links please:)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
tvauthority, plasmaconcepts, visualapex, (all sponsors here), dtvcity got good reviews.. when i buy my set it'll be probably from one of those places.. unless i just go the local-route and have a cc pricematch or something..

not sure yet -.-

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I was very happy with plasmaextreme when I dealt with them last year - there were huge threads here about their use of Paypal rather than taking credit cards, with people taking both sides of the argument. Everyone who's dealt with them has been pleased, according to posts here. But I have no idea what their current situation is. Why not give them a call and ask them? Brian and Lisa have always been very forthcoming.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I agree with djs. Give them a call, get a feel for them, see what you think. I'm one of the people who put an order in for one of the 42pwd6uy's last year, and am still waiting on it. I don't blame plasmaextreme for the wait, rather, I blame the national shortage.

I'm not sure why someone would feel a vendor is not trustworthy or good simply because they no-longer sponsor this forum, or use paypal for their transactions...but I suppose this is not the thread to respond to my statements. :)

I'm sticking with plasmaextreme.

-JR

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is the plasmaextreme web site down?

To take a credit card the company pays a fee usually between 2 and 5%. On mail-order, not having the card to swipe the fee is higher. For a company to offer lower prices they might not accept Credit Cards. PayPal, and other on-line CC companies gives a small company the option to accept CC without the expense of setting up a processing account and purchasing the equipment. PayPal uses Well's Fargo as their CC processor.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Paypal??

AFAIK, nobody in the discussions on Paypal vs. regular CC's (on this Forum or elsewhere) has said Paypal was better, just that they were not that much worse.

They still charge vendors, but I believe it is around 2% vs. a regular credit card's 3-4%. They also have less stringent financial requirements than do regular credit card companies - e.g., a requirement that the company have $50,000 or thereabouts in working capital. Not an unreasonable requirement IMHO, if the dealer is selling plasmas that cost $5,000 to $10,000 or so.

IMO, even if you end up paying an extra 2-3% it's well worth it when you're buying a plasma, for the 1 yr. supplemental warranty many CC's offer if for no other reason. Paypal is OK when you're spending $25 to buy something from an individual on eBay, but when thousands of dollars are involved it's a different story.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steuert
Paypal??

They still charge vendors, but I believe it is around 2% vs. a regular credit card's 3-4%. They also have less stringent financial requirements than do regular credit card companies - e.g., a requirement that the company have $50,000 or thereabouts in working capital. Not an unreasonable requirement IMHO, if the dealer is selling plasmas that cost $5,000 to $10,000 or so.

As long as you have a business license and a business account at a bank you can get a CC account set-up. Last time I set up a CC account there was not a capital requirement, just that I had money enough for the check for the equipment to clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.