AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across a certain B&M electronics store which is excepted from the current Optoma HD70 $200 rebate. Their competitor who offers a 110% price match has it for $999.99. After taxes, matching and rebate, I can buy it new for $570.xx.

This has put me in a very interesting dilemma. Switching from a 62" DLP to this would either require me to set it up in a smallish dedicated bedroom temporarily until the wife can get comfortable with having a screen hanging in "her" family room. It will also become our primary TV viewing and X-box 360/Wii display. Ceiling mounting is out of the question since there is a fan with a light kit that I am not allowed to touch.

Questions: Are there drawbacks to setting it on a table and can someone point me to some of their setups with audio cabinets or floor mounts that are not obviously out of place for a family room used for entertaining?

Is this too good to pass up or are these type of deals becoming more commonplace? I understand that next month is always the best time to buy electronics, but you have to take the plunge and enjoy your life sooner or later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was in the same situation as you after always wanting a projector but never really having the money to pay big bucks for it. I was walking through BB one day and found the optoma hd70 with a tag for 599.00 on it. i went home did some quick research on it and decided it was time to pull the trigger on a projector setup. when i got back to the store the one they had was sold but informed me another store had one but was 20 mins away, i started driving and got there but they couldnt find it.

to make a long story short they found it and it came up at 399.00

needless to say i bought it on the spot and have been happy with it ever since. I currently have it sitting on a 6 shelf stand with various game machines below it and it works out perfect. the hd70 throws the image a little high compared with other projectors so putting it on a shelf was the way to go. it's small enough that if i dont tell some one what it is they would never know.

my wife was also a little worried about the screen but i waited for her to take the kids out last sat and built one when she wasnt home, i was half expecting her to freak out when she got back but she was really happy with the way the screen turned out and has tottally turned into a hd dvd junky now. before all she ever wanted to do was go to the movies but now she would rather stay home and watch movies

·
Registered
8 Posts
How big is your image that looks ok in sd? Is that normal def via tv broadcast or sd dvd? I hear that dvd looks good so my concern is sd broadcast. Where did you guys find your hd70 that cheap? That's less than I found one for. After rebate I'm looking at about 750.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Thanks. (Like I need someone to justify the purchase for me...) Unfortunately, I checked stock of the competitor and No stock within 50 miles of me. Karma is a b!ch ain't it? Now I know how to deal with the wife. Build her a screen that complements the room and both of us will be happy. I'll let ya know if I get it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at it in a local BB for $757 as a close out. Unfortunately they are not eligible for the rebate and CC is listed as not having one anywhere near me. The idea was to get the clearance price and pick up the rebate as well. I may not be that lucky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought one last night online at visualapex.com for 949 and you can print out a 200 rebate form. Also got the extra warranty for 2 yrs for 79. Shipping was free. They had free mount and cover included thru yesterday so if you call ttoday maybe you can talk them into still including them. I started to look at the HD72 also bc I found a great price, but a lot of users complained about short bulb life so I happily decided to stick with this one as my first projector. Now I just have to figure out where to set it up.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Whatever you do, be careful. I bought one of these the other day from Cameraaddict.com because it was only $642 after rebate, but there's one problem. They don't include the bulb with them! Another total scam. Apparently they're Asian imports, not good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All, Thanks for the advice. I went back today and they had dropped it to $414. Needless to say I am now an owner.

I see what you mean when about the HD70 shooting high. I have it on a TV tray and at 14 1/2 feet with no zoom, it almost hits the 9 foot high ceiling. Off to the tweaker's thread I go. So many choices for screens...

One last question. Are you owners out there using 1080i or 720p as your preferred source? I have a Directv HR20 which can pass native or pass a single resolution. If it taking the 1080i signal and converting it to 540p, it seems I would be better off leaving it at 720.

Looks like I may be looking for an upconverting DVD player next. DVDs definitely don't look as good at 103" as they did at 62. After last week's price drop on the toshiba 3rd gen HD-DVD players, there seems to be a plentiful supply of used HD-A2s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I called Visualapex and they are factory sealed units with bulbs. They are an Optoma dealer. I'm expecting it to get here tomorrow or saturday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaust /forum/post/12992354

I called Visualapex and they are factory sealed units with bulbs. They are an Optoma dealer. I'm expecting it to get here tomorrow or saturday.

Awesome. You get to take advantage of the $200 rebate then. There was no mounting bracket to hang it with when I got it. Let me know if yours has the bracket in it. The manual was not very clear whether it was an optional part or not.

I pick up a 96" DaLite as a loaner from a friend tomorrow. I really like the way it looks on a white sheet, but it seems VERY succeptable to any ambient light. I assume I am losing much of my picture through the sheet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is no way you can post that price and not tell specifics... Sorry for the lashing
but I have been hunting BB clearance items and couldn't find the mits HC3000 or optoma HD70 nowhere. How did you get that price?

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptomaDV10 /forum/post/13568815

There is no way you can post that price and not tell specifics... Sorry for the lashing
but I have been hunting BB clearance items and couldn't find the mits HC3000 or optoma HD70 nowhere. How did you get that price?

My brother went to the US to visit a friend and after that went to 3 Best Buys. No one had the HD70. He ended up buying the HC1500 with the help of a few gift cards he saved up.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinxen /forum/post/13568971

are you kidding me? any of these in Canada? or BB doesn't sell them here? :/

Seems like such a good deal.

The Canadian BBs are crap. When the HD70 at BB went on clearance in January, I went with my brother to see if they could do something about the price. The clearance price was $799can, when the US clearance was $399. It's ridiculous - same frikken company.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts