AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm being offered a VPL-VW1000ES with 2,000 hours on it for less than $10K out the door with a brand new bulb. It's from a U.S. dealer, never sold/registered to a retail customer and they say it will have the full Sony 3 year warranty on it from my date of purchase (the warranty issue I have not been able to sort out with Sony - but will buy on my cc and verify with Sony once I have the pj in hand with a serial number). It was used in a showroom as a demo for several years and they have purchased a new 1100ES.

Is there anything I should know? If the unit has the early motion blur problems will Sony fix those under warranty? Are there problems with early 1000ES's that are not fixable under warranty?

If I have Sony do the 1100ES upgrade will they fix any issues with the pj along the way? I'm told it's perfect and I can return it if it's not as described or if Sony denies the warranty after I receive it - but it's in another state and it would be nice to sort these issues prior to purchase.

Calling Sony was an exercise in futility - I was passed around to six different people in different departments, none of whom seemed to have a clue.

Reactions: EmmaDarknet

·
Registered
19,095 Posts
So, I'm being offered a VPL-VW1000ES with 2,000 hours on it for less than $10K out the door with a brand new bulb. It's from a U.S. dealer, never sold/registered to a retail customer and they say it will have the full Sony 3 year warranty on it from my date of purchase (the warranty issue I have not been able to sort out with Sony - but will buy on my cc and verify with Sony once I have the pj in hand with a serial number). It was used in a showroom as a demo for several years and they have purchased a new 1100ES.

Is there anything I should know? If the unit has the early motion blur problems will Sony fix those under warranty? Are there problems with early 1000ES's that are not fixable under warranty?

If I have Sony do the 1100ES upgrade will they fix any issues with the pj along the way? I'm told it's perfect and I can return it if it's not as described or if Sony denies the warranty after I receive it - but it's in another state and it would be nice to sort these issues prior to purchase.

Calling Sony was an exercise in futility - I was passed around to six different people in different departments, none of whom seemed to have a clue.

That seems like a good deal. If you can get the upgrade too, I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
9,115 Posts

If they had that deal in my country I would do it too... As long as the warranty is sound why not!

·
Registered
30,263 Posts

I would be checking on the warranty. Not sure they can offer 3 year warranty on a 2.5 year old projector. Sony ES Support was telling me (last year) that some dealers had been doing this and that Sony was going to put a stop to it. Sony called it an abuse of the system. Things like this is also why Sony's exchange program went from 90 days to 60 days and finally 30 days.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be checking on the warranty. Not sure they can offer 3 year warranty on a 2.5 year old projector. Sony ES Support was telling me (last year) that some dealers had been doing this and that Sony was going to put a stop to it. Sony called it an abuse of the system.
I'll definitely check - that's why I put it on a credit card instead of debit, and kept written documentation of their return policy and the fact that the dealer told me it has the full 3 year Sony warranty on it. They said that since it was never sold to a retail customer the warranty starts when I get it and register its serial number with Sony.

I don't know one way or the other - I've never owned a Sony projector and I don't know how their policy works.

The first thing I will do is verify with sony that I have a three year warranty - if not I'll return it to the dealer for a refund or insist on a further discount from the price I paid. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I'll definitely check - that's why I put it on a credit card instead of debit, and kept written documentation of their return policy and the fact that the dealer told me it has the full 3 year Sony warranty on it. They said that since it was never sold to a retail customer the warranty starts when I get it and register its serial number with Sony.

I don't know one way or the other - I've never owned a Sony projector and I don't know how their policy works.

The first thing I will do is verify with sony that I have a three year warranty - if not I'll return it to the dealer for a refund or insist on a further discount from the price I paid. Thanks for the heads up.
make a phone video and get dna from him. When the pj goes tilt you will need everything because these scumbags lie and say you wernt told that.

·
Registered
19,095 Posts

Did you buy this VW1000 Chris ?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you buy this VW1000 Chris ?
Indeed I did Craig. It's in the back of my SUV as we speak, while I am stuck in L.A. traffic on the way home from my mailing center.

Soon we'll see if I got a great deal or a pig-in-a-poke. :)

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Registered
13,395 Posts
don't freak out if it takes some time for blue convergence to settle in.

Also, both you guys with the old school 1000's, RC is different after the motherboard swap (less aggressive now) so keep this in mind when comparing it against the other models you have. I thought the original RC was too aggressive even at minimum setting.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
don't freak out if it takes some time for blue convergence to settle in.

Also, both you guys with the old school 1000's, RC is different after the motherboard swap (less aggressive now) so keep this in mind when comparing it against the other models you have. I thought the original RC was too aggressive even at minimum setting.
If you input a 4K image to the projector did this alter how aggressive RC was? Or I guess a better way to ask is; did you find RC's aggressiveness any different between a 1080p and 4K input?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you ever check on the warranty status?
I literally just got it home 45 minutes ago and have been on hold with sony ever since. Jamming to some great hold music. :)

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I literally just got it home 45 minutes ago and have been on hold with sony ever since. Jamming to some great hold music. :)
Haha, good luck! I know Mark has posted the phone number before, but there's a special "ES" line you can call and usually there's very little wait. Maybe someone can post it. It could come in handy if you're on hold for a while longer. My unit arrives tomorrow. I just got my tracking number from Amazon! I may have to duck out of work a little early tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha, good luck! I know Mark has posted the phone number before, but there's a special "ES" line you can call and usually there's very little wait. Maybe someone can post it. It could come in handy if you're on hold for a while longer. My unit arrives tomorrow. I just got my tracking number from Amazon! I may have to duck out of work a little early tomorrow. :)
So you finally pulled the trigger and bought one eh?

I gave up after an hour on hold - and I thought I was calling the ES service line - 877 619 7669. Will try again in the morning.

PJ's service menu shows under 1700 total operational hours on the chassis, so I'm happy - I was afraid this might have been an 8-hour-per-day showroom mule for the last few years.

Now to change the 1700 hour bulb out for the new one and read the manual.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
So you finally pulled the trigger and bought one eh?

I gave up after an hour on hold - and I thought I was calling the ES service line - 877 619 7669. Will try again in the morning.

PJ's service menu shows under 1700 total operational hours on the chassis, so I'm happy - I was afraid this might have been an 8-hour-per-day showroom mule for the last few years.

Now to change the 1700 hour bulb out for the new one and read the manual.
After seeing Mark Haflich's this past fall at his house I decided when one was on sale a good price I'd buy it. I just want the opportunity to play around with one at my leisure for a while. Mark invited me down to go to a CRT meet and most of that long weekend was spent devoted to that so I only got ~8 hours worth of play time with the Sony. I'll be able to do a more nitty-gritty evaluation with my own unit here. I have a good frame of reference on what to expect though after seeing Mark's. It's probably the only projector I'd consider owning permanently if I got rid of the JVC. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts