AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been quite happy with quality of my H/K AVR-320, but it lacks an amplifier for the 7.1 DTS-ES. Also, the Denon upsamples all composite and SVideo inputs to component. Is it worth the $1000.00 to purchase this receiver? How does the Denon's sound quality compare to the H/K? Finally, I'm a bit confused about the "upsampling". Does it actually weave/bob an interlaced input (like my HDTV) or does it simply convert it to interlaced component? Any comments and information are greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
The HK 525, Onkyo 900, and Pioneer 45 TX would be more fair comparisons to the Denon.

You should look at all the above before maing a decision.

Good Luck!

Mike

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm using the Denon 3803 to handle the switching between my Sony HDstb and a Panasonic 82 dvd to my projector. I'm waiting for CC to deliver my Tivo so until then I'm won't be using the upconversion on the 3802.

I also have the 3802 in my family room and find that the 3802 sounds very similar. The 3803 also comes with a few more treats.

Michael

:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oregon,

I cannot speak to the video points you bring up as I run all component signals directly to my TV, but let me address the audio qualities of the Denon 3803.

I just decided to get a new receiver about a month ago and have spent the last several weeks "auditioning" new receivers in my home.

I personally brought home and hooked up the following units:

HK AVR8000

Pioneer Elite VS45TX

Denon 3803

Now, I dont know how the HK compares to the one you have now, but for my ear, which is pretty sensitive I believe, the Denon smokes both of these other two in sound quality and reproduction of sound stage, especially in DTS. Now, I am only running 6 channels (I have a rear center and surrounds instead of 4 channels back there) but the imaging even with that combo is simply breathtaking on the 3803. It has wonderful presence (lots of power) and a lot of adjustability, especially in this pricerange.

I felt like the Pioneer was the closest in tonal quality, but the power levels it put out were not doing justice to my very wattage-hungry Paradigm speakers and overall the Denon was the receiver that seemed to have the most presence.

I would recommend it whole heartedly.

JaMa

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.