AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Harmony 880 last week because I needed a universal remote in a hurry and just purchased and setup my home theatre. Consisting of a Onkyo HT-RC160, Optoma HD-20, Xbox 360, PS3, Mac Pro, and on thursday a DirecTv HD-DVR.

I love the Harmony 880, there are a few problems though. Have problems powering down projector because it powers everything down at the same time and the projector doesn't have a chance to turn off so I must press power off twice.

I have to return the remote because the left hardware button doesn't work. I have the option of returning it for a new one or getting a full refund.

I would like to look at other options before returning it for another 880. I like the charging dock of the 880, I like the utility on my computer that I can use to program it, and I like the color screen. It also needs to be able to press 1 button and turn everything on or off like the 880. It also needs to be available for under $100. I have the Nyko blu-wave for the ps3 also.

I have looked at the URC-R50 and it looks good too. So whats better? The URC-R50 or Harmony 880? Or is there something better for under $100?

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
The URC-R50 would be a good remote as well, but it isn't PC programmable. Here's a review of the R50 http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews/urc_r50/index.html

I'm not sure that it matters to you, but the 880 has been discontinued and replaced with the One. You might want to look at the Harmony 700 which is a little over your budget, but probably better built than the 880 and cheaper than the One. However, it is charged via cable instead of a dock and has a six device limit.

For your projector issue you'll need to add another power off command to the device's off command. You can even work in a delay if needed. It is in the device's options and not the activity options.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Don't let the fact that the projector doesn't power down due to how quickly the remote sends commands be the reason you don't get another 880; as bryan said, you just need to add a delay between commands. I've had my 880 for a few years and I still love it, actually prefer it over the newer models.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leglez /forum/post/18144148

Well which delay should I mess with for the delay on the projector? I have found 3 different ones.

You are looking in the wrong place.

Go to your projector device's Settings / Adjust Power Settings / Next (a couple times) / My device needs more than one command to turn it on and off. Now you have the ability to add another power command. However, they don't allow you to add a delay. The Harmony software can be frustrating.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/18144759

However, they don't allow you to add a delay. The Harmony software can be frustrating.

Really? Maybe I'm just thinking of that setting that just increases the delay time in between all commands. At least there used to be a selectable option..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/18144759

You are looking in the wrong place.

Go to your projector device's Settings / Adjust Power Settings / Next (a couple times) / My device needs more than one command to turn it on and off. Now you have the ability to add another power command. However, they don't allow you to add a delay. The Harmony software can be frustrating.

No that works fine, I did that when I first got it so that it presses power off and then select. It does that fine. It doesn't power off along with everything else fine.

When I press power off it shuts off the xbox, receiver, and begins to shutoff the projector. When I press poweroff the xbox and receiver shut off then the projector says Power off? Yes (I am not sure exactly what it says but it is something like that) Then since the receiver shuts down right when that pops up that option goes away and I then have to press help and then it askes if that fixed the problem and yes. Then the projector powers down fine, as long as nothing else is on. If other stuff is on it has problems power down.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Did you add an additional power off command? If that doesn't work then maybe keep adding power off commands. You can repeat power setting "needs more than one command" and it will add another three options. I'd put about six power offs and see if that works. Otherwise, figure out the delay needed between power offs and contact Harmony tech support. Have them add power off, delay xxx seconds, power off.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Another option is to go thru the wizard of each activity (depends on how many you got). When you click next to the point of asking you is everything being controlled the way you want? select the second option saying "yes, but I want more options"

It will take you thru the same questions, just click next to the point of it getting you to I want to add a command at start up or during shut down. You select the device you want to give the command to which would be the proj. You then add the power toggle command to be sent at the end of each activity.

If you have to press power toggle a second time or OK or Enter, then you just set that as the command for powering off the projector in the device area.

The other option of course is to contact support and having them add the delay for the projector in the power down sequence under the device. They should be able to add a delay box right next to the box where you select the power toggle button in the power down sequence which will allow you to later adjust if need be.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 /forum/post/18152133

Another option is to go thru the wizard of each activity (depends on how many you got). When you click next to the point of asking you is everything being controlled the way you want? select the second option saying "yes, but I want more options"

It will take you thru the same questions, just click next to the point of it getting you to I want to add a command at start up or during shut down. You select the device you want to give the command to which would be the proj. You then add the power toggle command to be sent at the end of each activity.

If you have to press power toggle a second time or OK or Enter, then you just set that as the command for powering off the projector in the device area.

The other option of course is to contact support and having them add the delay for the projector in the power down sequence under the device. They should be able to add a delay box right next to the box where you select the power toggle button in the power down sequence which will allow you to later adjust if need be.

I thought of suggesting the command at the end of the activity, but there is a problem with that. If you go from Watch TV to Watch DVD you will be sending a power off command.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Ah ya, that slipped my mind bryansj. Best to contact support and have them add the delay to power down command and then having the second command go out. They did the same thing with the PS3 controller I have (IR2BT) when it was setup in their database by its creator and this allows us to adjust the signal delay the Power toggle command for the device.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/18151922

Did you add an additional power off command? If that doesn't work then maybe keep adding power off commands. You can repeat power setting "needs more than one command" and it will add another three options. I'd put about six power offs and see if that works. Otherwise, figure out the delay needed between power offs and contact Harmony tech support. Have them add power off, delay xxx seconds, power off.

That worked, I added Power off, Select, Power Off, Select, Power Off, Select. Now it is working great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I got a new 880, still having problems with it, the record button doesn't work, volume doesn't work, and 0 doesn't work. So I am returning it and getting my money back. I now have the option of buying a complete Harmony 890 with the RF thing and everything for $125 or a complete Harmony one except it doesn't come with the manual or box for $130. Which would you guys recommend?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.