AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it's a bit rediculous I know. And I may look like a miser. But the way I see it, 2010 is going to see AT LEAST the announcement of the xbox 720. Going by this logic of 3 full price game purchases within the next year, that's about 170 toward either the purchase of the new system or some games. In these tough economic times where people are diving into dumpsters for a meal and whatnot, it makes sense to raid the bargain bins for deals and wait for the new games to cool off and pick them up aftermarket. Then, I can apply my savings toward the new system and look like a pimp with my new xbox 720 on launch day.

·
Registered
920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work /forum/post/15412399

Ok, it's a bit rediculous I know. And I may look like a miser. But the way I see it, 2010 is going to see AT LEAST the announcement of the xbox 720. Going by this logic of 3 full price game purchases within the next year, that's about 170 toward either the purchase of the new system or some games. In these tough economic times where people are diving into dumpsters for a meal and whatnot, it makes sense to raid the bargain bins for deals and wait for the new games to cool off and pick them up aftermarket. Then, I can apply my savings toward the new system and look like a pimp with my new xbox 720 on launch day.

I rarely buy a full priced game, it takes me so long to beat the few I have that I just wait for the prices to go down before I pick another one up. I got Fallout 3 and Gears and full price but I had Gift cards to supplement. Alot of the games within 6 months are around 40 and you can usually find some sort of sale or promotion for the really big ones.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work /forum/post/15412419

Jealousy of my logic will get us nowhere

Here's an idea - take those cans you're collecting and bring them to Michigan for redemption. Twice as much money!! Maybe you can snag Newman's Post Office truck to load them up in.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
yeah whiskey I'm sure Newman would let you share his postal truck to redeem those cans in Michigan...just watch out for sewing machines laying on the road

I would just keep doing what your doing whiskey and put a few bucks back here and there..I'm guessing its gonna be a long while before a new box comes out...and even then after the huge problem with the 360 why would you want one on launch day? Always wait 6 months to a year for them to "fix" their new consoles

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 /forum/post/15412431

Here's an idea - take those cans you're collecting and bring them to Michigan for redemption. Twice as much money!! Maybe you can snag Newman's Post Office truck to load them up in.

But he'd have to wait until Mother's Day. Plus, drivers out there have been known to throw old golf clubs at mail trucks.

Other than Halo 3 and GTA 4, I waited to buy all of my other games. You just stalk amazon (or other sites) and you can find games you want pretty cheap within a few months. Plus there are sites dedicated to finding cheap video game deals. Do a google search.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I primarily only buy from the used market but not from places like gamestop. The only titles I'll really spring for are AAA titles where a beta was available and I was able to sample the game beforehand; otherwise it's a borrow from a friend before purchasing. That being said, with so many games out on the xbox now; you could pick up many of the "old" titles for under $20; take some time to go through them and by that time the games which command $60 today will be $20-30. This works well unless a certain title is heavily dependent on the MP aspect, then waiting might mean not enough people online to game with.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Why in the hell do you buy full price in the first place? Between Amazon, b&m store sales and used games, I never pay full price!

Just continue buying Xbox 360 games. A new console won't be out until 2010 at the earliest. That means at least 2 more years of great 360 games being released.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I've stopped buying (for the most part) games at full price. I hold out and wait for deals or even to buy them used. Last 2 games I bought were Fallout 3 and COD:WaW and combined I spent no more than $65

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work /forum/post/15412399

Ok, it's a bit rediculous I know.

You're right, it is.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
If you are paying full price then you need to spend less time here and more time at cheapassgamer.com. I haven't spent full price on a game since Crackdown. I also get most games during release week. Then there is Goozex to fill in the gaps.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Majority of my games this past gen have been used or waited for a sale. I just can't justify spending $60 on anything but the most stellar AAA games( Uncharted,Gears of War,Halo,etc). The average game,if it's something I feel is worth owning on some level,I'll wait for a price drop. But my spending habits have nothing to do with putting that saved money towards the next system. Enjoy today,man. Tomorrow is promised to no-one.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
I don't really consider $5 or $10 off a game to be "cheap"...I try to wait until a game is $40 or less if I absolutely have to have it. Otherwise, its $19.99 or cheaper......considering so many games I buy I'd never get $60 of enjoyment out of.

Crackdown...crap I own that and have never even played it!

THIS IS also why I rarely buy a full priced game!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Lengthy epic single player experiences (like MSG 4) or games with a big online component to it(like Halo 3 or COD 4), normally dictate if a game is worth $60 to me. In the case of Halo 3, I wasn't overly impressed with the single player mode. But the fact that it's one of those games that you can log online anytime and never have issues finding people, justifies me paying full price. One thing I find about living in the UK, games seem to drop price faster than in the US. My last 3 game purchases were fallout 3,Quantum of Solace,and Mortal Kombat vs DC for 20 pounds($30) each, all new. The latter two were not $60 purchases for me, but at $30,easy decision. Even a game like Uncharted retails for 12 pounds here, versus $40-50 in the US(after a year on the market).

·
Banned
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since I'm going to be extremely wealthy when the 720 launches, what games should I get? I figure $50 for the brain wave controller, $75 for Perfect Dark 01, and a budget game like Frogger Ultimate would work suffice for a while

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/15414183

Crackdown...crap I own that and have never even played it!

you're missing out!

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I wouldn't. You don't even know if you'll buy a 720. My sole purpose of buy an XBOX was to play Halo 1. The only reason I bought the 360 was to play Halo 3. The main reason I still haven't bought a PS3 is because there are no games for it that interest me currently. I wouldn't stress it too much as you never know when the 720 if ever will be released.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.