AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I posted a similar thread in the projector area, wanted to see your opinions also!

For the past few years I have had a separate theater room in my house with a 300U projecting on a 106" DaLite High Power. With no HDMI, I am going to upgrade very soon and was planning on getting something in the AX100/Z5/TW700 arena as fixed lense DLP's do not fit in my setup (Screen is mounted over a row of cabinets). Lately I have been considering just ditching the front projection world and getting a 50" plasma for combined TV/Movie use. Since I only have around 500 hours on my 300U, it seems my schedule doesn't allow nearly as much time for movies as I hoped it would, so I end up watching my 32" Sony LCD much more often.

What do you guys think? Is a screen with 4x as many square inches but not used as often worth it? (I never had a tuner hooked up to mine, as I don't like to watch TV in the dark and the 300U washes out easily)

I was thinking of getting a pioneer 5070, since they are fairly cheap right now, and generally seem to get better reviews than the panny 60 series. Is the plasma picture quality really that much better than the newest 720 projectors with mild lighting? I'm not a black level fiend, but I do like to see the shadow detail...

Anyone have any advice?

· Registered
3,315 Posts
Yes, that is a great choice but maybe go 60-65" and get a little 'projector' like feel while you are at it.

I've got a 50" but would go 65" in a heartbeat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.