AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in the title I did get a good offer on the KDS 50A2000. I watched it for a while. The colors are so vibrant and was very impressed with the television. This is for my family room (I will be getting the pearl for my basement). In terms of use I think the family room television will be running 24/7. Am worried as I having been reading a lot about the green blob issues with the sony.

· Registered
16,406 Posts
Nobody can answer this question for you. If you like the PQ, buy it. If you don't, then buy something else. The Sony is an excellent display.

· Banned
21 Posts
only if your crazy or havent researched the defective SXRd technology that Sony uses. Do a search and green glob, green blob, green haze, yellow pee stain and it will quickly become obvious to you that sony should be avoided at all costs.

· Registered
16,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanmaeder /forum/post/0

only if your crazy or havent researched the defective SXRd technology that Sony uses. Do a search and green glob, green blob, green haze, yellow pee stain and it will quickly become obvious to you that sony should be avoided at all costs.

stlcity, be aware that this person keeps joining the forum under different names, only to be banned when they catch up to him. Take his comments with a grain of salt (all brands have their pros and cons -- none is perfect).

· Registered
7 Posts
I have had my 50A2000 for about a month now and PQ for HD content has exceeded my expectations. PQ for SD is pretty good - very acceptable considering the TV has been designed to receive an HD signal. I have no green blob, tinge, or anything on anything. Why there are probably some duds out there, I think the vast, majority of these models are great OOTB. I looked at every type of technology out there, and although PQ is ultimately a subjective thing, you should trust your eyes - Yes this model that is priced less than all of the flat panels delivers a picture that is better (response time is better for motion - SXRD, and black levels cannot be beat.) LCoS makes movies look like movies and not digitized cinema. LCoS smooths out the pixels enough to retain the film-look. I was not as impressed with DLP, Flat LCD - even the XBR2.

Buy it - and then get the 5-yr extended plan through Sony. They don't cover the bulb over normal usage, but at only $249.00 for 5 years it pays for itself, becaus ethe big box stores' plans cost more than double for less time. They might cover the bulb, but the bulb only costs $200 and will probably get cheaper as the newer sets come out in future years...

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by editeer /forum/post/0

I have had my 50A2000 for about a month now and PQ for HD content has exceeded my expectations. PQ for SD is pretty good - very acceptable considering the TV has been designed to receive an HD signal. I have no green blob, tinge, or anything on anything. Why there are probably some duds out there, I think the vast, majority of these models are great OOTB. I looked at every type of technology out there, and although PQ is ultimately a subjective thing, you should trust your eyes - Yes this model that is priced less than all of the flat panels delivers a picture that is better (response time is better for motion - SXRD, and black levels cannot be beat.) LCoS makes movies look like movies and not digitized cinema. LCoS smooths out the pixels enough to retain the film-look. I was not as impressed with DLP, Flat LCD - even the XBR2.

Buy it - and then get the 5-yr extended plan through Sony. They don't cover the bulb over normal usage, but at only $249.00 for 5 years it pays for itself, becaus ethe big box stores' plans cost more than double for less time. They might cover the bulb, but the bulb only costs $200 and will probably get cheaper as the newer sets come out in future years...

Thank You. I agree with ur comments on the picture it puts out. THe only one I thought that was close was the Sony LCD flat panel(for almost twice the price for equivalent size). I watched HD programming and CARS(regular DVD) on it and was blown away by the picture especially by the vibrant colors. I am keeping my fingers crossed on not having the blob issues. I will get the Sony extended warranty as per ur advice.

· Registered
313 Posts
Can anyone provide the URL for where to get the Sony extended warranty? Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by editeer /forum/post/0

· Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:

By all means do such a search and it will be quickly evident that almost all of this propaganda is generated by one or a small number of lying trolls posting under an endless list of aliases. If I was in the market for a new HDTV Sony LCoS would be on my short-list, along with the new JVC LCoS.

· Registered
Samsung S95B, Onkyo TX-NR7100, XBOX Series X, PlayStation 5, TiVo BOLT
201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcity /forum/post/0

As mentioned in the title I did get a good offer on the KDS 50A2000. I watched it for a while. The colors are so vibrant and was very impressed with the television. This is for my family room (I will be getting the pearl for my basement). In terms of use I think the family room television will be running 24/7. Am worried as I having been reading a lot about the green blob issues with the sony.

I have had a 60" SXRD (R60XBR1) for over a year and love mine! I haven't had the green blob (or any issues) with my set.

50" is too small you need a 60"! :)

· Registered
270 Posts
I have had my 50a2000 for 3 days now and still am completely blown away evrytime I watch hidef sat or a Bluray via the Sone Bdps1. Was watching the Colts game yesterday and felt like my jaw was on the floor watching how crystal clear the picture was-was even better than my old Mits 55" crt that I thought couldn't be beat. I have had no issues as far as green haze or blob knock on wood.

· Registered
388 Posts
I'm about to buy the 50A2000 soon after I work through the guilt.

The Sony EW looks fantastic. I'm thinking the 4 year plan as the OB already has a 2 year warranty. 6 years is good until the sub 2 grand 3" thick 100" laser sets are out.

· Banned
21 Posts
EW on sony wont help. It can be repaired. All SXRD, even the XBR2 have the Green Glob design defect. The pushed the edges closer the physics will allow which results in the color distortion call the green glob and is a green hazey donut in the center of the screen usually, although its shape can very. All sxrds have the defect and cannot be repaired, no matter how many times the light engine is replaced.

your best best is to get a decent tv like the Mitsubishi DLP. It has recieved the highest rating of any tv ever on CNET
http://reviews.cnet.com/Mitsubishi_W...5.html?tag=lst

· Registered
424 Posts

Quote:

EW on sony wont help. It can be repaired. All SXRD, even the XBR2 have the Green Glob design defect. The pushed the edges closer the physics will allow which results in the color distortion call the green glob and is a green hazey donut in the center of the screen usually, although its shape can very. All sxrds have the defect and cannot be repaired, no matter how many times the light engine is replaced.

your best best is to get a decent tv like the Mitsubishi DLP. It has recieved the highest rating of any tv ever on CNET
http://reviews.cnet.com/Mitsubishi_W...5.html?tag=lst

This guys a troll

· Registered
313 Posts
Sony LCOS SXRDs are the best looking sets out there, only bested by Pioneer Elite Plasmas. For the price, I personally wouldn't go with anything else.

The above poster states "All SXRD, even the XBR2 have the Green Glob design defect". Obviously this is incorrect, mine doesn't. Nor do the above posters. Fact is, a few early units were probably defective and this got posted all over the net but I have not heard of the problem cropping up recently at all.

· Registered
9 Posts
I've had my KDS50A2000 since September and LOVE IT! I have seen green tint on shadowed faces of certain broadcasts before - when the set was brand new and when it hadn't been turned on for 4 or 5 days. It was not the green blob and went away with tweaking the settings and/or time... not really sure which combination solved the problem.

Sully

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.