AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide the pros and cons of buying a projector vs. a more traditional TV. As I see it, the projector can give me a very large screen for the least amount of money.

however, I my room has a large sliding glass door so it does not get completely dark during the day. I can make it dim.

Plus, I don't know how to install the projector since it would be on the wall opposite of where the dVD player and receiver are. Also, I would like to keep the DVD player hooked up to the TV and projector because I don't want to have to turn on the projector everytime my kids want to watch Monster's Inc.

Lastly, I only have about $1,000 budget. It's no big deal to wait a few months to save up, but what could I get for $1000?

Any advice to a newbie will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
On the DVD thing.. I've been using a S-Video out to the projector (24ft) and the component to a little 32" so I don't always need the FP. Today I just got yet another DVD player to put next to the FP so to compare S-video to component. Fun stuff.

I picked up some darker curtains to help with the light thing..

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I would say that it is more than possible once you get some good blackout blinds for the room/door. On the other hand I would NOT recommend a PJ for someone who thinks the $1000 purchace is all they can afford. If you bust a bulb in 4 months what then? Digital projectors will give you the brightness and flexability, but the ongoing costs ( on top of buying and renting DVD's ;) ) IS signifigant. So you may want to give your upfront cost as well as yearly maintinance cost so that people can better make recommendations.

With a regualar TV you can expect 5-10 years ( easly ) of worry free life out of a non-lemon tv.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by snowmoon
I would say that it is more than possible once you get some good blackout blinds for the room/door. On the other hand I would NOT recommend a PJ for someone who thinks the $1000 purchace is all they can afford. If you bust a bulb in 4 months what then? Digital projectors will give you the brightness and flexability, but the ongoing costs ( on top of buying and renting DVD's ;) ) IS signifigant. So you may want to give your upfront cost as well as yearly maintinance cost so that people can better make recommendations.

With a regualar TV you can expect 5-10 years ( easly ) of worry free life out of a non-lemon tv.
I don't agree. A cheap projector like the InFocus X1 has proven to be very reliable and cost effective. Plus coolcats93 said he could afford more in a few months, so more money is coming in the rare event of a bulb failure. I'd recommend an X1...

I have great confidence in my bulb and don't even think about it blowing.

James

·
Registered
912 Posts
Welcome to the forum, coolcats93:)

I also vote for the X1.

I also have a sliding glass door, with the afternoon sun hitting it. Used 3 layers of drapery to dim it adequately (white on the outside, to reflect some of that light - would've used silvery substance, but got the negative from the boss:D).

When buying tech gadgets, it's usually a good idea to not only think of your current uses for it, but if it can be used for future technologies (i.e., 480p sources, HD sources, etc.) - "Bang for your Buck".

Research, research, research!

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.