AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just finishing up with a 5.1 surround system with all my components in a hall closet. I'm using a URC MX-900 remote, and at this time all of my walls are accessible (drywall removed). I have a home office (the next room over), with a 3 year old HP computer. The only thing I have hooked up to the PC is a Cat5 cable for streaming Netflix and Pandora to my Blu Ray. I also have a Cat5 from my PC to my 52" Samsung for live updates. That's it.

Before I button this project up and put up drywall, does anyone have any thoughts on how this computer can be utilized further with out spending much more money? I don't have a movie collection (would like one though), listen to alot of music (mainly Pandora), and I would hate to finish this project and wished I would have done.........whatever??

Are there any cool ways of getting movies from the internet (vs Netflix)? Any software that would improve my system? I hope you get the idea!!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
You can buy (or maybe just rent, don't know) movies online from places like Amazon. Otherwise you can do illegal downloads.

There are programs like SageTV for DVR TV capability.

-Suntan

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
I would at least do a CAT5e to the TV. Probably an HDMI run too ( I like Monoprice cables.)

Lastly, get a good sized (2 diameter or so) conduit tube and run it along the other wires (don't put the wires in it, leave it empty for future wires.) Run some heavy weight fish line or similar string through it so that you have a pull cord ready to install a future cable. Empty conduit with a pull cord already installed in it makes pulling a future cable very easy.

-Suntan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts