AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! About 6 years ago I used this forum for months trying to make a decision on an HDTV. I ended up getting the Panny TH-50PHD8 720p and have never regretted it. It still works perfectly and the picture looks great.

Now I'd like to go a little bigger to 55 or 60 and it would be nice to have 1080p. I don't care about 3D. A guy in Best Buy claimed that my Panny is actually better than the cheaper new Pannys because it was made with higher quality components, and even offered to buy my old Panny should I want to sell it. He said if I really want to really upgrade, I'd have to buy top-level Panny -- and I don't think I'm willing to pay that much.

So here I am, looking at the cheaper TC-P55GT30 and wondering ... is this really an upgrade? What do you think?

·
Banned
568 Posts
I own a 2008 Panny 800U and I think it's far below average at best, so for you to own a 2005 Pnnay is def a bad sign. You'll def see a massive upgrade in black levels, color accuracy, etc from your outdated PHD8; heck I've never even heard of that model, so you'd be really well off to buy a new plasma

The bottom line is this: invest as much cash as you're comfortable, and buy the biggest TV as possible, because when it comes to HD cable or BluRay, you'll be blown away by what you see from [most] 2011 Pannys'. If you're cash-conscious I suggest you check your local Craigslist's Electronic section, because a lot of people sell last years TV's so they can get this years model

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha, that's funny, when i was last on these boards, this model is all anybody talked about, really been awhile. thanks, that's good to know. and, yeah, i'll buy the biggest i can for the room, no need to encourage me there

·
Registered
550 Posts
While I'm not familiar with our model, I own a 42" Panasonic 600U and think it looks absolutely fantastic. The black could certainly be improved by today's standards, but for a secondary TV it looks great. In your situation, I would certainly go for the 60" - I think an extra 5 inched (at 55") is too small for the upgrade...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow /forum/post/20822286

I own a 2008 Panny 800U and I think it's far below average at best ...

Yours is a 1080P, and for that 2008 year was very dim. The 720P Panasonics are much brighter for almost any vintage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I thought in 08 the Pannies were not good and the 800 U was extremely overrated that is why for the living room I bought the Sammie 650 LCD that year. I do not care weather a TV is of whatever design but in 08 the Pannies were not very clean on picture. I own 2 08 PZ 85u's Pannies and I should have returned them and would have bought a 800 U but the Sammie 650 was a better set in my mind but my new 2011 ST30 60 is a good bit better than my 650 and way better than the 2 Pannies I bought for the bedrooms in 08. The 50 and 60 ST 30's are a great deal from 1 day of viewing. REAL HAPPY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.