AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm trying to piece by piece assemble a decent home theater. I started with the Onkyo htib SR800 http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?cl...ems&m=HT-SR800

Ive upgraded the sub to and SVS PB12-nsd. Im thinking next I should go for some better speakers. Lets say I have 500 dollars to work with. Is it worth a speaker upgrade? Will I notice a big difference with better speakers?

·
Registered
5,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriver /forum/post/17006960

Guys, I'm trying to piece by piece assemble a decent home theater. I started with the Onkyo htib SR800 http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?cl...ems&m=HT-SR800

Ive upgraded the sub to and SVS PB12-nsd. Im thinking next I should go for some better speakers. Lets say I have 500 dollars to work with. Is it worth a speaker upgrade? Will I notice a big difference with better speakers?

You could do a lot with $500... I'd put it towards your front three for now and hold on to the Onkyo rear speakers if HT is your goal. Something from The Speaker Company like TSBL + TC2 or TST1 + TC2 would be worth looking at. Other choices might be some of the clearance Polk Monitor series, eD A6-6T6 MTM, SVS SBS series, HSU HB-1/HC-1, and some of the Jamo & Energy deals from wwstereo. Either way, I'd focus on the front three with that budget if HT is your goal... if you're more interested in 2ch music, maybe put your budget just towards your mains.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Im trying to decide between getting the SVS sbs series 3 fronts or the energy take 5 speakers. Im leaning more towards svs. I love my pb12 and I imagine their speakers are as good quality.

·
Registered
16,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriver /forum/post/17010159

.............the SVS sbs series 3 fronts................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/17010942

What exactly are the SBS "Series 3"?

I'm pretty sure he is saying "SVS sbs series, 3 fronts".

·
Registered
226 Posts
Maybe you should look at the SCS front 3 set. It is about 100 more than your budget, but there is supposedly a huge difference in sound quality. You could also get a full 5 chanel SBS set for under 600 too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the confusion there. I was talking about the front 3 speakers there. Tank, I like scs front 3 set but they are back ordered until mid October. If the SCS are that much better than the SBS I supposed I could wait a couple of months.

Thanks again guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.