AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use a RS 15-2160 antenna to pick up most NYC stations (except NBCDT) from 36 miles away in Central NJ in an attic. I just found out that the Winegard PR-8800 is collapsable so it should fit into the attic cutout in the closet. I also use a Winegard AP-4800 (28db UHF pre-amp)

Do you think this is a wise upgrade to see if the PR-8800 (in the attic) could pull in the low power NBCDT? I'd rather not spend the effort and funds to get no results.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just recently did an antenna upgrade myself. I planned to use the PR series for an attic mount. After some internet searching ended up talking to Stallions Antenna via email and phone. They recommended the Winegard HD7084P instead. I installed the recommended antenna in the attic and it's picking up all channels in my area including one thats at reduced power and is about 25 miles out. I'm not using a pre amp for my installation. Others in my subdivision had given up on getting OTA. We're not a long way from the towers but terrible terrain.

The 7084 comes folded and can ship UPS. The antenna set up easy with the elements just snapping in place as you unfold it. I used a tri-pod mount which made installation a lot easier. It's a big antenna so make sure you've got the room. The Winegard web site has the measurements.

Highly recommend Stallions, Ben was great to deal with. The website has a page, tvantenna.com that talks about attic mounting an antenna and things to look out for.

Not affiliated with them in anyway, just a good buying experience for me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't like putting antennas in attics. They definatley will work much better on the roof. I don't believe you said what exactly you are trying to pick up. If you are going for HiDef as well as analog stations, the 7084P is an excellent choice. I can't however, see it fitting into alot of attics. If, on the other hand, you are only looking for HD channels (no analog) a better choice would be the Weingard or Channel Master 8 bay UHF antenna.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Hookup
... a better choice would be the Weingard or Channel Master 8 bay UHF antenna.
The CM 4228 8-bay can be disassembled if the attic opening is too small. It can also just be leaned up against something for easy "tilt" changes, if vertical tilt adjustments are needed. Tilt changes can a make big difference for hard to receive stations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.