AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have M&K K7's across the front and K5's for my surround with a HSU sub (5.1 system). I have a Pioneer Elite receiver that was middle of the line a few years ago but got very good reviews here (I forget the exact model).

I was going to buy a new stand for my fronts but then I realized I'm going to need to put in at least $100 for a decent pair. So I figured I would take a look at floor standing speakers and I was happy to find that there are some great deals out there right now. So here is the short list of floor standers I'm looking at:

Energy C-500

Polk RTI8

Infinity p362

Polk Audio Monitor 50/60/70

Polk Audio RTiA5

JBL L880 Refurb

So what do you guys think? Is it worth upgrading from my current setup to any of these towers, and which ones would you recommend for my scenario? I would be keeping my existing surround, which is hopefully ok. I want to keep the cost as low as possible so I'm looking for bang for the buck but a big enough upgrade from the M&K's that it won't be money wasted. I should also mention this is 100% home theater use (movies and tv).

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update

I saw that I can get a pair of Polk Audio T90e's for $260 (Euro version of Monitor 60's). What do you guys think of this deal? Is it a significant upgrade from my M&K's? What's the best center channel to match these?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I would think anything on your list would be a downgrade from M&K's. But that's just IMHO only. Best case would be to audition as many different towers in your price range as possible and see if any are an upgrade in sound to YOU.

What a schmuck like me on a forum thinks is basically irrelevant. What may sound glorious to me, may sound like dog doo to you. YOUR ears are the only thing that counts.... period.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you guys could be saving me some money. s

So it seems that the opinion is, at least from a couple of people so far, that budget towers aren't necessarily a big upgrade from some quality bookshelves, which I think the M&K's are but please correct me if I'm wrong. I might just end up upgrading my stands if thats the case and maybe buy a blu ray player with the savings. Any other supporting or contradictory opinions?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
You should do what quad suggests and listen to other speakers to find what you like.

BTW...I got a blu-ray player for Christmas and I love it!

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
+1 and +2 on quad's and curtis's posts. Towers are not necessarily an upgrade, especially if you have a sub and you are properly implementing Bass Management.

You need to *listen* to speakers... but you also need to ensure that they are setup properly. Do you have a good grasp of how to use Bass Management?

Craig

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown /forum/post/15500448

So here is the short list of floor standers I'm looking at:

Energy C-500

Polk RTI8

Infinity p362

Polk Audio RTiA5

JBL L880 Refurb

So what do you guys think?

You can get a lot of good info about the P360 P362 on the Primus owner's thread. You might read some stuff there that intrigues you about these speakers. They're extraordinary for the money (built by one of the most technologically advanced companies on earth, the team that designed it was lead by an engineer that plhart (search for his informative posts on this forum) -- a pro speaker design engineer in his own right -- called one of a handful of brilliant speaker designers).

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwriter /forum/post/15501810

You can get a lot of good info about the P360 P362 on the Primus owner's thread. You might read some stuff there that intrigues you about these speakers. They're extraordinary for the money (built by one of the most technologically advanced companies on earth, the team that designed it was lead by an engineer that plhart (search for his informative posts on this forum) -- a pro speaker design engineer in his own right -- called one of a handful of brilliant speaker designers).

Look in the mirror... see if you have

"Infinity Fan-Boi"

tattooed on your forehead!

Craig

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'm not familiar with the speakers you have, but IMHO I haven't heard any towers that beat out a similarly priced bookshelf in sound quality.

The only towers I have listened to that I liked were the B&W 802D which are 14k a pair. Mind you there was a big gap there...I listened to towers in the 2k and under range for the pair (didn't find any I liked) and then listened to the 802D which is a huge step up in price. I do have a sub, so that makes a difference, but I would definately go with bookshelfs unless you have loads of cash for a new setup....you can send some my way as well if you do

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good stuff here guys. I appreciate the feedback

I'm not an Audiophile by any stretch of the imagination and I rely alot on this site for all of my Audio/Video purchases and questions. This site has pointed me to my Samsung 56"DLP, Pioneer Elite receiver, M&K 5.1 bookshelves and an HSU sub, however I do wish I chose blu ray over HD-DVD. We're so use to the sound of our system that any other system probably would've sounded strange for a few months in comparison. We like the sound of what we have and I think I'm just being hit with a mild case of upgraditis. Now I just need to find a stand.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Keep the M&Ks as opposed to the choices you listed. It would seem like you're craving some mid bass so possibly add a second sub or a Mid Bass module or two.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown /forum/post/15500448

So I currently have M&K K7's across the front and K5's for my surround with a HSU sub (5.1 system). I have a Pioneer Elite receiver that was middle of the line a few years ago but got very good reviews here (I forget the exact model).

I was going to buy a new stand for my fronts but then I realized I'm going to need to put in at least $100 for a decent pair. So I figured I would take a look at floor standing speakers and I was happy to find that there are some great deals out there right now. So here is the short list of floor standers I'm looking at:

Energy C-500

Polk RTI8

Infinity p362

Polk Audio RTiA5

JBL L880 Refurb

So what do you guys think? Is it worth upgrading from my current setup to any of these towers, and which ones would you recommend for my scenario? I would be keeping my existing surround, which is hopefully ok. I want to keep the cost as low as possible so I'm looking for bang for the buck but a big enough upgrade from the M&K's that it won't be money wasted. I should also mention this is 100% home theater use (movies and tv).

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

None out of that list for the simple reason that you will lose timber matching across the fronts. Your choice would be,,find a matching pair of M&K towers or upgrade all 3 fronts with the same brand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts